Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Little story about Triple 7. >

Little story about Triple 7.

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Little story about Triple 7.

Old 03-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Little story about Triple 7.

I loaded my T/C 54 on the morning of Dec 18 for a couple of days of muzzleloader hunting. As you guys may remember from my posts the weather turned pretty nasty that evening and I only got to hunt one day. I came home to about 8 or 10 days of power outage and general chaos. Well I never unloaded the gun. So finally yesterday I decided to go to the range to shoot the centerfires and shoot out the 80 gr of T7 and the round ball out of the 54. Not only did it fire without hesitation it also was only out of the bullseye by about 3 inches at 100 yards.

It was in the gun from Dec 18- March 5 and fired flawlessly and to almost perfect poi. I figure it was a pretty good unintended experiment. So anyone thats worried about leaving their gun loaded for a few days with T7... I dont think you have anything to worry about..lol.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:35 PM
Fork Horn

Doe Dumper

Glad to here it turned out to the good. It's nice to know that you can leave a charge in for an extended period and it will perform just as if it were fresh.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Fork Horn

Doe Dumper: Did you take any precautions like tape over the muzzle or covering the nipple ?

I never had much luck leaving a MZ rifle loaded with T7, over a few days and not changing POI. I always blamed the powder.. figuring it got weaker or moisture affected it.

Maybe it was just poor shooting by me.
Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Doe Dumper

I have never had a problem leaving T7 loaded. it has always went boom and on target.

I even ran some experiments during the middle of winter here.
Old 03-06-2010, 06:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the report DoeDumper. It's always been my practice to leave the gun(s) loaded until I take a shot, or the end of the three-month season, whichever comes first. I've never had a problem with GOEX, Pyrodex, or Triple Seven. However, my guns are always loaded on a clean dry bore - no fouling shot, no popped caps/primers.

Was your load on a clean barrel, or did you pop a cap or foul the bore before loading?
Old 03-07-2010, 01:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was on an absolutely clean bore with not even a cap popped Semi. Thats the only way I'da left it that long. I get pretty panicky about leaving a muzzleloader thats been shot even a couple of days without cleaning. This gives me pretty good peace of mind for next season as I used to shoot the gun off every night at dark and clean it that night. Now I can leave it in there til I see soemthing to shoot at.

rt.. I didnt have anything covered. I hunted all that day with it... took it home and put it back in the cabinet and its been there until I shot it.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

"Thanks for the report DoeDumper. It's always been my practice to leave the gun(s) loaded until I take a shot, or the end of the three-month season, whichever comes first. I've never had a problem with GOEX, Pyrodex, or Triple Seven. However, my guns are always loaded on a clean dry bore - no fouling shot, no popped caps/primers."

X2
I will re-emphasize for any newbies reading this that you can't do it with a dirty barrel. If you have fired the gun, clean it as soon as practical. With a clean bore.....no worries.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Loaded My Remington 700 54cal. Evening of Nov 14th. Left it on the screened porch when not hunting and it fired just fine on Jan 3d.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 03-07-2010 at 05:47 AM.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have left my ML loaded from Mid December to the next November, almost 11 months and it fired just fine. I have also had it loaded through snow, rain, constant temperature changes for weeks at a time and it fired just fine. My secret (and it's no secret) I always cover the end of the muzzle with masking tape, I believe this is the biggest factor in keeping moisture out of the barrel and having it fire when needed.
(BP)
Old 03-07-2010, 06:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Breechplug
I have left my ML loaded from Mid December to the next November, almost 11 months and it fired just fine. I have also had it loaded through snow, rain, constant temperature changes for weeks at a time and it fired just fine. My secret (and it's no secret) I always cover the end of the muzzle with masking tape, I believe this is the biggest factor in keeping moisture out of the barrel and having it fire when needed.
(BP)

X2 here, but no tape used.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.