Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Loses Lawsuit- Jury Awards 2.1 Million >

Knight Loses Lawsuit- Jury Awards 2.1 Million

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Loses Lawsuit- Jury Awards 2.1 Million

Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Knight Loses Lawsuit- Jury Awards 2.1 Million

Knight has lost a lawsuit over an "accident" that happened to a shooter as he was loading his Knight shotgun. He claimed "embers" in the barrel set off the powder as he was loading the gun: Yeah, right. The jury bought the story.

http://www.gobogalusa.com/articles/2...9794168112.txt

Phill Junkins, a Franklinton resident, was awarded the amount for injuries, and subsequent disability, sustained in a March 31, 2004 incident when Junkins was loading his Knight Rifles TK 2000 muzzle-loading shotgun outside his home, his lawyers said.

The weapon, commonly used to hunt turkey, has a problem of containing “latent embers” in the chamber after being fired, said Julie Baxter of Baton Rouge-based Rhorer Law Firm, which represented Junkins. Franklinton attorney John Allen was the original attorney of record to represent Junkins.

Problem is, Knight Rifles did not warn their customers of this, Baxter said.

When conditions are right, the latent embers can cause the rifle to discharge when it is being loaded, and that’s what happened to Junkins, Baxter said.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Our State has been pondering the idea of having all MLer Hunters that have'nt preveiously held a ML Liscense take a 12 hour course on the subject of (Knowing what the hell your doing!) befor you start, mabey it's not that bad of a idea after all, in the beginning all us ML Hunters here thought it was another way for the State to make money, but if it can prevent something like above then mabey it's not such a bad idea. As this would give the ML manufactures fall back on something like this as they could say the person involved new what he or she was up against and doing, so that should'nt be the fault of the ML Manufacture.
But then again there are a-lot of people out there that just plain will never get it, period! you know the people............
(BP)
Old 03-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Fork Horn

Every year I get more and more guys I know calling me up wanting me to go shoot with them because they bought a ML and don't have a clue what they are doing. Not only do they not have a clue, but they are in most cases down right scared. I guess on the bright side, at least they call to find out before they go off on their own and get hurt or do something dumb. My first ML came with a DVD that I put in and watched and then had at it with the help of all you fine people on here.

You are right though, there are some people out there that should have to pass a common sense test before they are allowed to leave their house every morning.
Old 03-03-2010, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Whadda load of sh!t. It's unfortunate he had the accident, but accidents oughtn't be sued for all the time. And Knight couldn't do anything to put out those "embers"...
Old 03-04-2010, 02:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Z
Whadda load of sh!t. It's unfortunate he had the accident, but accidents oughtn't be sued for all the time. And Knight couldn't do anything to put out those "embers"...
Total agree, now watch all the idiots blowing themselves up jump on the law suit bandwagon.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope they can afford to appeal. In civil court, you don't have to prove a problem in the lower court, it is a whole new trial. They might have a shot at an overturn.
Old 03-04-2010, 04:13 AM
Spike

Default Common Sense

What ever happened to common sense !! Another win for the lawyers.. sorry this person was injured but come on!! Same thing with the tree stands...lawyers put some out of business!!
Old 03-04-2010, 04:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have to agree. Frivilous lawsuits costing companies millions and even causing good companies like Knight to close their door over human stupidity. When are these judges going to grow a pair of balls and tell the people like it is. Consumers need to have some common sense.
Maybe there should be an IQ test before purchasing products that are potentionally dangerous.?
Questions like: Should you pour black powder down a bore while it is still smoking?
If the gun doesn't go off, should you look down the barrel and pull the trigger again?
Duh.........this ticks me off too.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Questions like: Should you pour black powder down a bore while it is still smoking?
If the gun doesn't go off, should you look down the barrel and pull the trigger again?
+1

Add to that;

"Should i cap the gun before loading?" Believe it or not, i've been present on the range several times when B/P shooters capped the gun before loading. Yep, they got kicked off the range ASAP.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

On the stupidity meter this ranks right up there wiith the lady that burnt her thighs with a steaming hot cup of coffee held between them and sued McDonalds. I think it should be the other way around instead of paying these people for their stupidity they should be required to pay a stupidity tax. A safety class is a great ideal and I am all for it. The only thing is you can't teach common sense. Even with a required class you will still get a liberal judge and a bleeding heart jury that will reward stupidity.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.