Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Loses Lawsuit- Jury Awards 2.1 Million >

Knight Loses Lawsuit- Jury Awards 2.1 Million

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Loses Lawsuit- Jury Awards 2.1 Million

Old 03-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Holy Crap! Where have I been??? I have a KP1 and I would like some more barrels for it but will I be able to buy them now??
Old 03-10-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

#0L^cR@P!!! that is gonna be the new piece of paper in the gun box, dont it already say something, that says dont be a dumarse..wish me luck, i need some cash, gonna go shoot myself on "accident" to get paid.

on that note, they better put something some where ...where it says dont put all this (powder) in a 55gal drum and walk up and light it!!!!!!!!

wo wo wo...aint it the powder companies fault for the powder igniting on a hot amber when ya didnt want it to????????????
Old 03-10-2010, 02:41 PM
Fork Horn

Hey, this is the 21st century. It is always somebody else's fault. Let's sue the manufacturer because they did not anticipate that their customer could be so stupid. Used to be you lived and learned. Now you mess up, sue for huge money and live happily ever after.
Old 03-10-2010, 03:07 PM
Banned

lets all go out and buy a toyota!!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Fork Horn

I would love to know the guys name and send him his Bill Engvoll sign: dumbass. Knight has always been great to me and sure doesnt deserve this. I think I will load my gun while smoking and drinking a mcdonalds cup of scalding coffee while wearing nike's with my shoestrings untied. Man, what a lawsuit I could have.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think I will load my gun while smoking and drinking a mcdonalds cup of scalding coffee while wearing nike's with my shoestrings untied. Man, what a lawsuit I could have.
Hey Deer655, you may as well do it while driving your Toyota Prius too.
Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM
Banned

if hes driving a prius, you better make the mc donalds coffee a star bucks and change those nikes to flip flops
Old 03-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Typical Buck

If Knight had liability insurance like most manufacturers than they won't be paying the lawsuit damages anyway. Those would be paid for by the insurance company that probably also represented them in court.
The jury was suppose to examine the facts from the point of view of an average person taking product liability issues into account with the guidance of a judge during a fair fact finding trial.
They were given facts that we don't have.
It's just like if someone is accidentally shot on gun club property and then the gun club will get sued and the insurance company will pay for any damages that are awarded and provide a lawyer too.
It's in the insurance contract and that's why insurance companies collect billions of dollars to pay for claims. And they still make tons of profits just because every business and property owner usually always have insurance.
When these kinds of accidents happen the jury often feels sympathy for the injured party and try to make an award because they know that the insurance company will appeal it anyway.
If the jury decided correctly then the decision won't be overturned. Meanwhile the injured party suffers whether it was caused by the company omitting printing a warning in the owner's manual or not.
But in no way do I think that there should be a class required to buy a muzzle loader. That restricts people's rights to buy BP guns under the 2nd Amendment that aren't restricted right now in most states. That's not even required in New York City to buy a flintlock.
These types of accidents are pretty far and few between. Why make everyone lose their current unrestricted rights because of the actions of a few?
Let the courts and the insurance companies handle it and leave the laws just the way they are.
I have a hard time believing that any folks would want to require a license for purchasing muzzle loaders just because they don't agree with a jury's decision in a product liability suit. That's gun control that we can all live without.
If anyone wants to teach their family and friends how to avoid accidents then that's the way to go. Maybe the muzzle loader companies can do a better job of writing more comprehensive safety manuals.
After all it's their product and their obligation to provide clear instructions on the safe use of their guns.
Then it wouldn't be necessary to require a license to purchase a BP gun because most folks know how to read and then their lawsuits wouldn't have a chance to succeed.

Last edited by arcticap; 03-10-2010 at 10:04 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

The Toyota thing is a whole different ball game. You buy one of them and expect years of trouble free driving with routine mantaince as out lined in the owners manual. You do not expect to be on you way to work and the dam thing running away with you like a bee stung horse of the 18 hundreds. You also expect to be able to stop when you push the brake pedal too.

I admit I have not read a Knight manual but I have read two T/C manuals and 2 Remington ML manuals. In every one they spell out the correct loading of them, warnings of hot embers in the breech, Maxium loads for each rifle, and what to do if the charge does not go off.

Part of the reasons products cost so much is the insurance cost. Product Lilibilty and Malpratice for doctors. I fully under stand a law suit when a doctor leaves a clamp in side you. I understand a suit when a rifle barrel explodes with the 150gr. maxium charge the book says is safe. But a suit doing stupid stuff the manuals warn you not to do is crazy.
People who don't follow the manual may be should be forced to spend week ends reading manuals and explaining what each warning meens.

Al