Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Scopes

Old 02-26-2010, 05:08 AM
Spike

Default Scopes

Any difference between rifle scopes and muzzleloader scopes. Would a bushnell 3200 or 4200 hold up on a muzzleloader? What is bushnells customer service and warranty like? Any other scope suggestions in that price range?
Old 02-26-2010, 05:24 AM
Typical Buck

I think there customer service has improved a hole lot,I had a simmons that the cross hairs canted to the right it was replaced with a better scope $$$
I also had a older bushnell from the 80's with a BDC they replaced for free.The only thing they will not pay is the shipping ,the shippping runs about $ 8.50 to them and they want a check for $10.00 to return it to you
I say look at the sightronSI 3x9x40MM made in japan warranty no question asked,Lifetime
I would rate it a step above the banner line
Old 02-26-2010, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

If you ask me, and you have, I would put a ML scope on my ML'd. I broke two good quality scopes, one a Bushnell 3200 and the other a Burris Fullfield. Had to send them both back for repair. Burris had a note with the scope when it came back asking me not to put it on a ML again because they would not repair it! I think that says quite a bit in itself.

Now some will say this is all BS. But it happened to me and that is what I would do. Rimfire, airgun, shotgun, centerfire and ML guns all have different vibrations or resonant (sp) qualities. If that was not so, why would would there be different models of scopes for these different guns?

As with anything, this is from my own experiences and opinions.

PS: If money is an object, then go with a Bushnell Banner BP scope. They are a 3-9x40mm scope that run about $60-$70.

But look at this scope I put on my Sidekick. It is a 2.5x shotgun/BP scope. I have shot more deer with this gun then any other ML in my safe:

It is a Tasco Bantam and I paid $35 for it. I have had it for over six years now.

Last edited by rafsob; 02-26-2010 at 05:34 AM.
Old 02-26-2010, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

A Nikon Omega is built for a muzzle loader. I have several and have had NO problems and the range reticule works quite well with 120 or 110 gr of BH and a SW. Lee
Old 02-26-2010, 05:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I have a Bushnell 3200 2-7x32mm (shotgun scope) on a muzzleloader and it is a great scope. Although I have only put maybe two hundred rounds through the rifle with that scope.

I have little experience with the high end scopes. I normally put a very low cost scope on a muzzleloader and then just shoot it until it breaks. Since you want a high quality scope I think the Bushnell would work for you, or the Nikon Omega, or Nikon Pro Sport. Also the Leupold line makes some nice muzzleloader scopes. But a rifle scope is supposed to work on a muzzleloader. Just keep eye relief in the back of your mind. I like at least 3.75 or better 4.0 inches for eye relief.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by lemoyne
A Nikon Omega is built for a muzzle loader. I have several and have had NO problems and the range reticule works quite well with 120 or 110 gr of BH and a SW. Lee
If you want to get into the level of scopes as the Omega, then look into the Leupold Ultimate Slam. It is in the same price range as the Omega and you can set up your own ballistic chart and loads. I think the Omega tells you what loads to shoot with their scopes.
Old 02-26-2010, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know Rafsob wont agree with me on this one and I know SHI% Happens. But I have never had any problems with Scopes on anything I have used CHEAP Tasco Scopes on My Shotguns with no problems and cheap scopes on my MLers with no problems.
On my CVA Hunterbolt Mag that I use 150gr's of Powder in I have a Bushnell that I paid $49 for, and this scope has taken some abuse! no problems.
On my CVA KODIAK Pro I have a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn ($89) shotgun scope, again NO Problems at all, and the list goe's on and on, no problems.
The only MLer that I actually have a ML Scope on is one of My ACCURA's, it has the Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scope on it, I love it, no problems.
I always just figured the Manufactures of Scope's just came out with a (ML ONLY) Scope to sell to the ML Shooters so corner that market. Mabey they are different from other scopes but I just figured it was a way for them to make more money on a product, do you think they actually use different parts in there scopes than the rest? I dont. But mabey they do........but for me I never had a problem with any scope made for a rifle or shotgun that was put on a MLer.
But if you must, Leupold, Bushnell and Nikon all make scopes just for MLers. But for me if what I use works than Im gonna use it. Heck some of my Shotguns and Rifles have more recoil than my MLers, so why would'nt scopes for them work on the ML.
My 2Cents.
(BP)
Old 02-26-2010, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I forgot to mention and Im sure some of you will mention this. YES, some of the ML Scopes do have a Longer Eye Relief 3-4" for those of you that need it so as to not have the scope smack you in the eye or forehead, but again the Shotgun and Rifle Scopes also have longer eye relief's too. But internally Im sure there built the same as the rest of the scopes in that dollar range that they manufacture.
(BP)
Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Originally Posted by Breechplug
On my CVA KODIAK Pro I have a Bushnell Banner Dusk to Dawn ($89) shotgun scope, again NO Problems at all, and the list goe's on and on, no problems.
My 2Cents.
(BP)
Actually that Banner shotgun scope is packaged as a shotgun/BP scope if I am not mistaken. I had one on one of my ML once. If it has the cross hairs with a circle around the center, it is more then likely the shotgun/BP scope.

Hey BP, you can disagree with me anytime. That is what makes this group of ours so unique and informative.

I also love my Leupold Ultimate Slam. The only thing weird about my set up is the scope is more expensive the the ML'er:

I paid $179 for the Knight Vision and $269 for the Ultimate Slam. Go figure!?!?

Old 02-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

vance

Looking at my storage area... I have five Bushnell 3200 Elites, a Tasco World Class ($39.00), A Swift, Leupold U-Slam, Cabelas PowderHorn, Bushnell Trophy, Hi-Lux, and a Sightron on muzzleloaders someplace. These are all mostly rifle scopes.

I have two very cheap scopes that are still working today the Tasco, and a BSA Hunter.... they should have come apart years ago... I even have bought replacement scopes for them but keep using the replacements in other places.

The 3200's are very good scopes...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.