Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Question about CVA BP >

Question about CVA BP

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question about CVA BP

Old 02-26-2010, 09:46 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats Wildchild04

Let us know how the Kodiac Magnum shoots.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by wildchild04
for the replies, a CVA Kodiak Magnum is now sitting in my gunsafe.
Congrat's and hope you'll be Pleased! The only thing I disliked about mine is the Trigger Mech. is connected to the Barrel and cannot be removed for cleaning the Barrel. Other than that it's a good shooter and mine was set up with a Magnum Charge of 150gr's (3) of Pyro Pellets,a 240gr XTP Mag and Win W209 Primers.
(BP)
Old 02-26-2010, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

A big problem is when new commers in the sport come in hearing that "magnum" hype and 3 pellets crap. They assume all guns can take it. Do not get me even started on the "Smokeless powder is blackpowder cause it's black in color", another major no no. We as responsible muzzleloaders must educate the new guys. It is alarming how stupid one can be, I saw a guy get a bullet stuck in which the ram rod stuck out by one-half. He said I guess I need to shoot it out in order to get it out, he was serious. He proceeded to put a cap on and get benched up. I yelled and hollared as loud as I could "hold on", the range crew came running and I explained what I observed. He did not shoot and after the range officer said I was in the right, the guy really broke down and explained he did not read the manual etc.. and this was his first ever gun. I helped him remove the bullet and we shot together for a while and I taught him some good practices, as it works well for me. He stated there really was no information available, I told him to look at gun sites as most have the manuals for download and provided him with sites I frequent such as this one. I remember when I was a new commer many years back and I was very cautious, read the manual many times and found this site before shooting for the first time. I own all Traditions muzzys, except the TK2000 for birds and love them all, yes the Trads are spanish but who the heck needs a 150 grain charge? I use 100 grains and they are all heck of shots. Bottom line is work from small loads and work up until the gun is accurate in groupings that are comfortable to you but never go over their recommendations. With all the new powders out there charge pressures vary now more then ever. If that powder is not in my manual it does not go in the gun no matter what you tell me. Most new guys say they want speed cleaning and do not want to spend a long time mopping the bore etc. I say if that's what you want then buy a centerfire. Any gun can blow, it just seems that when a muzzy goes, that all of them are bad and labeled as such. Let's do our part to educate any time we get the chance. Just my two cents.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Gotbuck
A big problem is when new commers in the sport come in hearing that "magnum" hype and 3 pellets crap. They assume all guns can take it. Do not get me even started on the "Smokeless powder is blackpowder cause it's black in color", another major no no. We as responsible muzzleloaders must educate the new guys. It is alarming how stupid one can be, I saw a guy get a bullet stuck in which the ram rod stuck out by one-half. He said I guess I need to shoot it out in order to get it out, he was serious. He proceeded to put a cap on and get benched up. I yelled and hollared as loud as I could "hold on", the range crew came running and I explained what I observed. He did not shoot and after the range officer said I was in the right, the guy really broke down and explained he did not read the manual etc.. and this was his first ever gun. I helped him remove the bullet and we shot together for a while and I taught him some good practices, as it works well for me. He stated there really was no information available, I told him to look at gun sites as most have the manuals for download and provided him with sites I frequent such as this one. I remember when I was a new commer many years back and I was very cautious, read the manual many times and found this site before shooting for the first time. I own all Traditions muzzys, except the TK2000 for birds and love them all, yes the Trads are spanish but who the heck needs a 150 grain charge? I use 100 grains and they are all heck of shots. Bottom line is work from small loads and work up until the gun is accurate in groupings that are comfortable to you but never go over their recommendations. With all the new powders out there charge pressures vary now more then ever. If that powder is not in my manual it does not go in the gun no matter what you tell me. Most new guys say they want speed cleaning and do not want to spend a long time mopping the bore etc. I say if that's what you want then buy a centerfire. Any gun can blow, it just seems that when a muzzy goes, that all of them are bad and labeled as such. Let's do our part to educate any time we get the chance. Just my two cents.
The ONLY Reason I mentioned above about the (3-Pellet Magnum Charge) was to say the Kodiak Magnum handled this charge well, so if it handled this well then it would also handle a smaller charge probably even better.
The Kodiak Mag and Pro were made for Magnum charges, I would never shoot anything more out of a ML if it (Was Not Made for it)
I TOTALLY AGREE a Mag Charge is not the best charge for a ML because a lesser charge will shoot better, be more accurate and do the job just as well.
I NO longer shoot a Mag Charge, I switched to 110gr's of Pyro RS because I get much better groups and it kills just as many Deer.
(BP)
Old 02-27-2010, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

There are guns out there that do handle 3 pellets well, the prob lem is the communication process is broke. I have met many guys who insist all modern muzzleloaders handle 3 pellets. This is not the case at all. What one doesn't understand is that if you load a 400 grain bullet with 3 pellets the pressure is higher than if loaded with a 300 grain bullet with 3 pellets. That usually goes by the way side, and if it is short started we all know what happens. The other thing that must be considered is in order for all the 3 pellets to burn completely you would probably need a barrel that is 6 foot in length. I would rather save that 3rd pellet and its cost. I know 2 pellets burn out in my 28" barrels just fine.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:21 AM
Banned

cva is as safe as any other muzzleloader out there. morons behind guns is the only dangerous part.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

As a person who has done a quite a bit of pressure testing there is one thing I would like to point out. If a gun is limited to 100 or a 10 or 120 gr of loose powder then you are really pushing beyond that limit by shooting 150 gr of pellets.
Do you really need 150 gr of anything? The honest answer is certainly NOT; the very little you gain if any is matched by a large increase in pressure and recoil.
And an other point is if your gun is limited to 100 or there abouts it is questionable and risky to use 777 or Blackhorn with out reducing the load by about 20 percent especially with bullets over 300 gr.
Depending on barrel length ignition and type of powder used the peak of efficiency will be between 80 and 120 gr usually for 1-28 twist 28 inch barrels it is between 95 and 115. If you would like to figure this your self for your particular gun, bullet, powder combination the simple way of doing it is to Chronograph the loads on the powder ladder for at least 2 above and 2 below your load with 10 gr separation then figure the feet per second per grain for each load the most feet per second per grain is the most efficient load. This will not be the fastest load as you will gain in velocity as you increase the load up to the point where some of the powder does not burn while the bullet is in the barrel once you reach this point all that increases is the recoil.
Progressive powder is a different principle so this does not apply to Blackhorn or smokeless, if you increase the load with progressive powder the added pressure makes it burn faster so you can burn more powder there for a person must be doubly careful not to double charge or otherwise over load with them. Lee

Last edited by lemoyne; 02-28-2010 at 12:01 PM.