Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Lehigh Plugs Are On Sale. UPDATED >

Lehigh Plugs Are On Sale. UPDATED

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Lehigh Plugs Are On Sale. UPDATED

Old 03-02-2010, 06:10 AM
Fork Horn

As I said in my previous post.. I installed the new Lehigh adapter and B/P in my .45 and .50 Knight Elites.... both fit fine and the bolt cycled without issue without a primer. Note... I used a Knight B/P tool with the center drilled out with a 5/16" bit.

This A.M. I attempted to cycle 3 different brands of 209 primers (W209, Rem STS, and Fed 209a) and had the same issue with all 3. The primer would not drop into the adapter... and I had to apply serious thumb pressure to insert it. When I closed the bolt, the primers seated in the B/P neck fine... no problem. However, after opening the bolt and attempting to dump the primers... all got stuck in the adapter. I had to remove the bolt from the rifle and pry them out with a screwdriver.

The opening in the adapter appears to be slightly too small to accept the primer without forcing the primer in or out of it. See pic below of a W209 primer hung on the adapter opening/rim. (This does not happen with the Knight NFPJ adapter)

Not bashing here ... and I bet I could probably buff with some 0000 steel wool and try to fix it myself (not sure, but there may be some tooling marks on the edge of the opening), but I think I should notify Dave so he can address it.

Old 03-02-2010, 06:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, notify Dave and he will correct that. My primer adapter i'm using is not heat treated. I bet when they were sent out to be heat treated this problem happened????

Last edited by Grouse45; 03-02-2010 at 06:18 AM.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:17 AM
Fork Horn

I notified Dave.

Certainly willing to give Dave a chance to get these right. I still think this is the way to go for the Knight's and BH209. If it was an easy fix... I'm sure Knight would have implemented it !

I especially like the vent liner concept. I'm finding I get under 400 shots out of a T/C Omega breech plug with Fed 209a primers before it starts getting serious erosion... along with blow back. My 25 ACP conversion has 3x that many shots with T7... and still no erosion.

Please fix this Dave.....I'm tired of messing with o-rings and drilling out Knight B/P's.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:12 PM
Spike

Got a refund tonight from dave..i hope he can fix the problem i still want to try one
Old 03-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

+1 on the refund (I didn't request one).

Also noticed the Knight replacement plug is listed as "Out of Stock" on his site.
Old 03-02-2010, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am sending my adapter back in to Dave along with my bolt so he can see the problem firsthand. From the conversations I have had with him and several people who have worked on this with him, I feel confindent that he will stand behind this and have a fix. It also does look like it was "overengineered" to tight tolerances without realizing that the bolts. etc, that it was designed to fit, were not made to the same tolerances. Hard for an engineer to accept, that that is why we are here.

I really want this to work, so I have no problem letting them work the bugs out. Just as long as it is before next season! He did issue me a complete refund without me even asking for one. Don't know how you can do more than that at this point.