Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Fire or Unload?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:02 AM
Fork Horn

Default Fire or Unload?

I'm new to M/L hunting. I'm using pellets and primers. Question is,, should I fire it to unload or open the breach, remove the primer & holder and push the powder & projectile out the back end?
Old 02-18-2010, 06:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

under safe and legal conditions...just shoot it.save ya some work
Old 02-18-2010, 06:06 AM
Fork Horn

WELL, I used to fire all the time but since I got a BONE COLLECTOR triumph, I simply turn and push it all out, I'm amazed that the pellets are not broke...GOD what a god send this speed breech is......
Old 02-18-2010, 06:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends on the situation.

If the season is still in and I'm simply coming in for the day, I leave it loaded. I've left guns loaded for months and they go off just fine. Some don't feel comfortable doing that.

If it's the end of the season, I will generally just push it out. I have been known many times to shoot it out but I've noticed as of late I don't do that near as often.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:43 AM
Fork Horn

Shoot it, it'll save ya some work isn't a good answer. Then you have to clean it. I hadn't thought of leaving it loaded; do it with my handguns all the time. I think that will be the answer for me. THANKS!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

aharley1

Since you are new to the ML thing it would be my suggestion that you push the load out.

Once you become comfortable with what yu are doing and how you are doing it - you might do something completly different. You will end developing your own methods.

I myself never unload anymore - I just pull the cap/primer and contnue to hunt with the same load all season if I have not used it. But again after a lot of experiance you will know what is best for you.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

certainly will have to clean it. i would clean it either way..just me..i would use the shot to see how close i would actually come to the bull @ 80 yards or so..see how good ya are.

Originally Posted by aharley1
Shoot it, it'll save ya some work isn't a good answer. Then you have to clean it. I hadn't thought of leaving it loaded; do it with my handguns all the time. I think that will be the answer for me. THANKS!

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 02-18-2010 at 07:38 AM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:36 AM
Fork Horn

Im pretty new also and this season I was very comfortable with just removing the primer till the next hunt usually in a day or two. If rifle were to sit for an extended period couple of weeks Id push out load so I could swab barrel with a light oil patch. Its a learning process.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:05 AM
Dominant Buck

In a safe place, be sure to remove the 209 primer first... then take the breech plug out and push the load out through the breech end. Normally this is an easy process. Be sure to push a dry cloth through the barrel and make sure it is clean. If you're not going hunting soon, oil the barrel. Do not use the load you pushed out. Use that on the target range. Load with fresh pellets and projectiles the next day if you can.

If you are new to the sport, you can try just taking the 209 primer out and storing the rifle over night in a safe place of course, and then put a primer back on it the next day.

I personally unload them every night. Normally since I have my own range next to the house, I just shoot it off at the end of the day and then clean the rifle and start new in the morning.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

It's usually dark when I come out, so shooting at a target isn't an option. I like removing the primer & leaving it. Muzzle loader season is just in for the next 10 days anyway. Wondering...Would leaving the powder pellets in cause any additional corrosion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.