HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Does anyone keep records? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/317370-does-anyone-keep-records.html)

Sharp Shooter 02-14-2010 05:01 PM

Does anyone keep records?

I notice a lot of you guys post pics of your targets and stuff for range reports.

I was wondering if anyone keeps notes and pictures and stuff like that for their muzzleloaders for records? Do you find yourself refering back to them?

Kirk

Breechplug 02-14-2010 05:11 PM

For me it's all kept upstairs, I always have been good that way. When you do this for many years you always remember what works and why, and what does'nt. If I had to,I could still remember all the Deer I ever shot over the last 30 years or so. When you really Love something your doing it's hard to forget the things that matter.
(BP):deer:

sabotloader 02-14-2010 05:17 PM

Sharp Shooter

I do keep records - I really think it is important because i try so many different things I would never keep them straight.

I keep a Chrono log any time I shoot across a chronograph and a target data file for every range sesion looed by the gun it was shot with.

cayugad 02-14-2010 05:37 PM

Each of my rifles have a picture file under My Pictures. Their icon is a picture of the rifle and the name is the weapon. When I shoot a rifle, I photograph the target, list all the information needed about what went on, then have them file the photo(s)d by date.

I used to keep detailed notebooks but it got to where I was getting the rifles mixed up.

Breechplug 02-14-2010 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by sabotloader (Post 3577075)
Sharp Shooter

I do keep records - I really think it is important because i try so many different things I would never keep them straight.

I keep a Chrono log any time I shoot across a chronograph and a target data file for every range sesion looed by the gun it was shot with.

Yea I think if any of us needed some advice Sabotloader has the info somewhere. Plus if he got togeather with a few others on here they could write a Book on Muzzleloaders. But if you do you have to let Semi lend his Special ways to it.:popcorn:
(BP)

Semisane 02-14-2010 07:10 PM

For me it's all kept upstairs
That may work for your Breechplug, but my "upstairs" has so many twists, turns and dead ends that I frequently get lost when I go there. However, I distinctly remember what I had for dinner this evening and I'm pretty sure my wife's name is Rosemary.

I have a file folder for each gun and keep just about all of the targets I shoot in a folder, with the targets numbered in sequence.

I almost always shoot five shots on each target and always record all of the load data on them - as you can see from the sample below. It's target #93 from my Great Plains flintlock and tells me I haven't shot that gun since last November. Damn, I need to shoot that gun next week-end.

lemoyne 02-14-2010 07:23 PM

I also keep records: with over 15 guns I would manage to get mixed up and frustrated with out them. The most interesting things in them are the differences in wear and repair that affect the groups. An other interesting difference is the difference in loads bullets and sabots that shoot best after lapping or polishing a barrel. I also keep a note book with shot targets, some times I try to read the patterns the same way as I learned to do with cartridge guns, it helps tune and fine tune loads.

Sharp Shooter 02-14-2010 07:30 PM

The records would sure help a future owner out to if you ever sold a gun.

nchawkeye 02-15-2010 01:12 AM

I post my targets with info on my gun cabinet doors...

I don't have the guns some of you guys have which makes it easier...

gregrn43 02-15-2010 04:25 AM

I dont keep any records but I do need to start. I only have 7 muzzleloaders and 3 of them I haven't shot in several years.