Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Im Bumming, and SAD!!!!!!!! >

Im Bumming, and SAD!!!!!!!!

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Im Bumming, and SAD!!!!!!!!

Old 02-08-2010, 07:12 AM
Fork Horn

I am sorry to hear about your wife's bad wrist. I can relate to it though as my wife (also a nurse) has enjoyed shooting with me for about 39 years and has developed severe arthritis in both hands and no longer enjoys shooting because of the pain.

I was wondering if your wife may be able to shoot a 45 caliber muzzeloader with round balls. They have plenty of power for up to whtetail deer sized animals and with 60 to 70 grs of 3-f had very little recoil. Just an idea.

At any rate, I hope your wife's surgery is a success and that she can continue to hunt with you for many more years.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I feel for you. My wife too has developed severe arthritis. I always thought I would be the one who's body gave out first. Some things we have no control over. Pray for the best my friend, things always work out.
Art
Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bad deal. My wife quit hunting when we had the daughter, I do miss that time in the woods together. But, maybe you can hook her up w/a nice Cross Bow? Those are 40-50 yard shooters and no recoil?
Old 02-09-2010, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Buck Hunter 1
Bad deal. My wife quit hunting when we had the daughter, I do miss that time in the woods together. But, maybe you can hook her up w/a nice Cross Bow? Those are 40-50 yard shooters and no recoil?
First Cross Bows are Illegal in N.Y., second were are totally against them unless you are Disabled. I know my wife may become disabled but even if they were legal here and if she could use one Im sure she would'nt as it goes against our thought's on Bowhunting.
I dont mean to offend anyone that uses a Cross Bow for Hunting, it's your choice. But as long as the Hunter's here where I live are against them so will I. But if your disabled and it's the only way to enjoy Bowhunting then were for it.
For now were going to wait and see what happens after surgery, then if possible we'll try a lesser load in her ML and see if it's o.k.
(BP)
Old 02-10-2010, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe the surgery will do her better,let's hope.I have two friends that have to use crossbows.One does not take advantage of it, on his good days he still uses his bow.I myself prefer the great challange of a bow.But if it was the only way i could hunt the early bow season, i would do it.In indiana we can hunt with them in the late season, as i do.But to each his own or her own.Lets just hope she gets better know matter what she has to do.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Breechplug,
I think shooting left handed might be the best solution. I shot alot of Deer this year with a 150grn Lehigh bullet. If you would like to try them i will send you some no charge. They have hardly no recoil at all and very accurate. They worked great on Deer as well.

Good Luck with your Wife. I do understand about loosing hunting partners.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Grouse45
Breechplug,
I think shooting left handed might be the best solution. I shot alot of Deer this year with a 150grn Lehigh bullet. If you would like to try them i will send you some no charge. They have hardly no recoil at all and very accurate. They worked great on Deer as well.

Good Luck with your Wife. I do understand about loosing hunting partners.
Hi Grouse45
sorry I did'nt see your reply sooner as I would have taken you up on your offer........or at least I will get some of these and put em to the test. The least recoil as possible is what were going for.
If they do what you say this may be the ticket. I mentioned left handed shooting but she's not liking the idea, so this may work.
How many grains of powder did you shoot with them? how did they do on Deer? what's the least powder charge that you think will do for shots out to 100yds?
Ron (BP)
Old 02-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

You both will be in my prayers.
We will all have to put our heads together and come up with a way for her to shoot and hunt again.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
Hi Grouse45
sorry I did'nt see your reply sooner as I would have taken you up on your offer........or at least I will get some of these and put em to the test. The least recoil as possible is what were going for.
If they do what you say this may be the ticket. I mentioned left handed shooting but she's not liking the idea, so this may work.
How many grains of powder did you shoot with them? how did they do on Deer? what's the least powder charge that you think will do for shots out to 100yds?
Ron (BP)
The bullets worked excellant on Deer. I was shooting them very fast. I think you could use 90grns or as much as she can handle with very good success.

Send me your full name and address in a PM. I will send you some so she can try them out.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

BP
I'll do some shooting with lower charges and see what kind on Velocities I get.
I have a 45 cal she can shoot if you want to go that route.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.