Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Installing Lehigh Vent Liners.... >

Installing Lehigh Vent Liners....

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Installing Lehigh Vent Liners....

Old 02-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Installing Lehigh Vent Liners....

For those of you doing this conversion, I have found out some additional information. Had an email conversation with Lehigh Dave and asked him about the angle of the bottom surface of the vent liner. In that conversation he mentioned how important it was to have the proper angle to get the best seat and seal for the vent liner.

I mentioned that I have been using a 3/8" bit, folloed by a counter sink to get some what close to the angle. He was nice enough then tell me that angle is 82* and then provided me with the information as to where to get the proper spot drill to get the work done.

So I am passing it on to you all. Here is one of the bits you will need to make this conversion...

http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/GSDRVS...00000125969441

Part Number: 00412320

I have made four of these conversion in the last few days but I am thinking I can get this spot drill and address my improper angle.

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-06-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike ( your a Mad Man) and I Appreicate you for it,,,,,,you strive for the BEST and you'll get it. By the time your done with all this you'll have the only MLer that you'll never have to clean,LOL! My Wife Wishes she had a House like this!
Keep us imformed on your progress, but you better (Patent) your inventions, you dont want to end up like the guy on (American Idol) the sang (Pant's on the ground)
Best of Luck to you and keep doing what you and (US) Love most, MLing!
(BP)
Old 02-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Fork Horn

And I thought it was common knowledge that the proper angle is 82*, I use a cobalt 82* countersink ti finish the seat. In fact in the stickied Breech plug thread I make reference in one of the posts to my .375 82* countersink to finish the seat. The spotting drill should also work, and if you notice the one reference is M42 cobalt. Good Stuff :-) it is and will last a long time.

Ken

Last edited by Screwbolts; 02-06-2010 at 06:40 PM.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Screwbolts

But you know what you are doing and you have to tools to do it with... me I am a backyard mechanic with a 1/2 baked wood shop... I am still learning... Also I am not afraid to show my ignorance and ask dumb questions to the right people... I was going to say more knowledgable people but I do not know how to spell knowlegible...
Old 02-06-2010, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Damn I thought as soon as my vent liners got here from Lehigh Id be able to finish my BP alteration, now have to find and buy new countersink. Oh well Im in no hurry now. Thanks to all you guys for posting all this helpful info newbies like me would be lost without it.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gman57
Damn I thought as soon as my vent liners got here from Lehigh Id be able to finish my BP alteration, now have to find and buy new countersink. Oh well Im in no hurry now. Thanks to all you guys for posting all this helpful info newbies like me would be lost without it.
I fail to see why you would have to wait for the countersink to go shooting. It seems to me you can finish your breech plug with the tools you have; install the vent liner, and go shooting.

When your counter sink or spot drill arrive; remove the vent liner, and finish working the breech plug. Reinstall the vent liner, and go shooting some more.
Old 02-07-2010, 05:45 AM
Spike

Ok, i gotta ask, Is there anyone doing these conversions for a fee? I have neither the tools or the confidence, but would love to have my triumph plug done,,,thanks..brad
Old 02-07-2010, 08:51 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with RonL Go shooting and dress up the seat when the tools arrive.

FWIW: IMHO, the replaceable vent liner I believe has it roots with smokeless guns. Most of the loads that you are shooting using Black powder or the current 2nd generation of substitute powders will not have the capability of the pressure developed in a Smokeless gun. A VL in this lesser pressure environment should outlast the VL in my Smokeless guns. The perfect match of the angle of the seat and the screw head should be less critical. I shot my first Smoke Less gun several hundred times before I got the proper tooling to correctly seat the Vent liner screw. I didn't purchase the tooling until I started recessing my Breech plugs. :-) The big kicker here is also the tolerance that the tool is made to, there is no quarentee that your 82* spotter drill or my countersink is exactly 82*. Also The origonal ML10, and I believe Henry and Bill balls original guns, not the current ML10II used a simple 10x32 set screw with a hole.03125 drilled threw it for a vent liner. They have no Head to worry about. there are many of these guns still giving great service.

I have 3 different C size drills that are from different makers. (The C letter size drill is considered the correct size to make or correct the primer pocket seat) They are not exactly the same size. It is nice having the three because it allows me to nearly match the steps in the Win. primer body. these drills are made to a +- tolerance so you pay your money and be happy (Chukkle) at what you get.

Ken

Last edited by Screwbolts; 02-07-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Fork Horn

Sounds good guys I guess I'll finish up then with what I have as I dont shoot all that much I may not worry about the corrected angle countersink. Thanks for the clarification.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ya-all

If the vent liner is not seated correctly so that the bell recieves and distribute the bore pressure - you might end up with something like this as I did... To much pressure on the threads instead of the bottom of the belll.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.