Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

No more GDHPs?

Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default No more GDHPs?

Are the new Speer "deep curl" bullets replacing the GDHPs for hunting? Looking at their website, I can't find the GDHPs in the 250gr or 300gr, 45 cal. Nor can I find the 44 cal 240gr bullets. Maybe that's why the GDHP are so scarce.

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/default.aspx?caliber=30&usage=0&brand=0&firearm=2

Hope they work as well.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

hubby11

Same bullet - different name. The Gold Dot has become such a popular hunting bullet they are moving the whole line over to a 'hunting bullet category' and renaming the line "Deep Curls". In conjunction they are now building regular rifle bullets along the same line hoping to catch the popularity.

Problem being.... trying to get any. The ATK-Speer plant is just down the road in Lewiston from here and we can not even find a good supply around here.

I do know that Wholesale Sports got a large corporate order at the beginning of January - so they have some....

Last edited by sabotloader; 02-04-2010 at 08:38 AM.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader
Same bullet - different name.

Whew!! I did a google search for “Speer Deep Curl” and got some message boards claiming that they are a replacement for the Speer “Hot Core,” and are made along the lines of the Federal Fusion (sister company) bullets. This did not sound good.

But a little more navigating around the Speer site an I found this:

"DeepCurl™ —Speer's newest hunting line-gives reliable performance and consistent expansion at all velocities, every time. These tough bullets were formally known as Gold Dot® Handgun Hunting."

Sorry for the apparent false alarm but it does get confusing. Gold Dots are still a line but I guess it's more for self-defense.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by sabotloader

Problem being.... trying to get any. The ATK-Speer plant is just down the road in Lewiston from here and we can not even find a good supply around here.
That's interesting... I picked up a box of the 300g .452s at Sportman's Warehouse last week. There was probably 3 or 4 other boxes there. Funny how just down the street doesn't have any but across the country does. Guess it just depends on who gets their order in first.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

TNHagies

Wholesale Sports and Sportsman Warehouse are nearly the same company any more so they should have got a decent supply in January.

Wholesale Sports is the Canadian company that bailed Sportsman's out of bankruptcy at the end of 2009, for the money they put up front the Spartsmans store's in the Pac Northwest were transferred to the Canadian company... so we are Wholesale out here and you are Sportsman's back there.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

hubby11

Whew!! I did a google search for “Speer Deep Curl” and got some message boards claiming that they are a replacement for the Speer “Hot Core,”
Basically the Speer 'Hot-core' or 'Uni-Core' bullets and even the 'Gold Dot' are about the same bullet... they are all bonded. The difference comes in the 'dot' that is placed in the lead of the 'Gold Dot' Speer likes to call it a 'Gold Dot' --> it is not I checked...

You can see the dot in this picture from Speer....

This is a Gold Dot I bi-sected to see if I could understand how the bullet was constructed... You can see the littel copper dot placed in the lead. If you look in the picture on the left you can see a fleck of it.... the hack saw blade took out most of it on the right.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

sabotloader,

ah, gotcha. Learn something new everyday...
Old 02-05-2010, 05:39 AM
Fork Horn

The new deep curl are not a replacement for the Uni-cor... All of Speer's jacketed pistol bullets are Uni-cor. Mostly a marketing gimmic....I shoot the 4485 Speer .451 300 grain bullet. It was classified as a hunting bullet now it's a "target" bullet. I like the SP bullets and will continue to use this "target" bullet for all my my hunting...
Old 02-09-2010, 01:09 PM
Typical Buck

Question what's a good price for the .452 300 Grain GDHP?

After a little research, I was intriged by Speer Deep curl (formally the GDHP) bullets. I searched everywhere on the net for the .452, 300 grain deep curl bullet (#3974)but everyone seemed to be out. I called a few places around town and a small gun store ordered me a box of 50 for $22.99, it'll be here on Friday. Is that a good price? Does anyone have an internet source that has the same bullet?

It supposed to be nice on Saturday so I will hopefully get out and break in my new scope with a couple different bullets, mainly the 240 grain XTP mag and now the 300 grain GDHP. I also have a few 250 grain shockwaves and some 390 grain PR colorado conicals to shoot as well. We'll see who is the most accurate
Old 02-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Banned

keep that scope off your forehead with those 390 CO conicals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.