Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady 250 FTX

Old 02-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
The reason I ask is because I was sent 250 of the Bushmaster design .452 -250 gr and I have not started to do any testing on them yet. It might make a difference on what I try to do with them. I do know the lead in ML version is softer and I am guessing that the 10-4 means they were the ML version. Lee
All of the FTX bullets were designed for cartridge guns. The 250gr is designed for the Bushmaster, with a MV of approximately 2200 fps.

Personally I'd look past the 250 and straight to the 265gr or the 325gr if recoil does not scare you. I have a box of the 265gr but have been so happy with the 325gr that I have not shot any of them yet.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

Lee

Sorry i did not read your post that well, I thought you were telling that there was two types... The ones that I have are not the ML variety. Because of that I would assume they could be shot at a higher velocity than regular ML speeds.

Shooting 110 grains really is a mid-mild range of power.

The only problem I have is Hornady has not figured out a way to keep the lead in the brass. I know they went to the 'interlock' to aid with that problem - but I am not sure that solved it. Also I would like to remind me that I an not saying every shot results in a stripped bullet even in my torture test, and the same thing applies to shooting a game animal - very few shot bullets will result in a stripped bullet - I just do not want to worry about it all...
Old 02-07-2010, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

spaniel

Personally I'd look past the 250 and straight to the 265gr or the 325gr if recoil does not scare you. I have a box of the 265gr but have been so happy with the 325gr that I have not shot any of them yet.
So can you say that neither of these two bullets will strip themselves on occasions?
Old 02-07-2010, 06:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

This was an interesting post placed on another forum... as a answer to my original post.

You didn't say what muzzleloader you are shooting.
I shoot the Savage. We crank out tremendous muzzle velocity with our smokeless powder.
For instance, with the 250 SST I am getting 2,300 fps. Some of the guys go much higher than that.

So, us Savage guys have problems with bullets tearing up on big game.
Many Savage shooters have had this problem with the Hornady 250 SST, as well as the 250 XTP.
With the Savage, I have read accounts of the 250 SST blowing up on a shoulder shot on a real big deer, and the deer being lost.

To remedy this problem, the Savage guys have switched over to the Hornady 300 XTP. The regular one, not the bonded one.
They get good penetration yet the bullet will hold together pretty well.
I believe this slug would work well for you on an elk.

If not the Hornady 300 XTP, the Savage guys get great results with the all copper Barnes bullets.
Expensive, but even at Savage hyper-velocity, good expansion and the bullet won't blow up.
Old 02-07-2010, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike
I have been shooting the 240gr XTP Mags for about 20years, I have never lost a animal shot with them. Some drop on the spot, some run for 100yds. But as mentioned above where I Hunt the Whitetails are extremely skiddish and it's nothing to run 100yds in a matter of seconds for them.
I just happened to have a few 240gr XTP Mags that I recovered after the kill and (Yes) both were completely stripped of there metal jacket. But what I have found is once they strip the metal they expand and cause excessive damage to all the organs, and still exit the animal.
Believe me Im one for a quick humane kill and I have never seen one of the deer I shot suffer, most run and collapse as there running, if they even run. I also have never tried any other bullet as these XTP Mags have never let me down or gave me a reason to change, besides leaving fist sized holes in the animals there accurate.
We dont have Elk here, mabey if we did I'd have different results for you, but Whitetails are our biggest game. I've blown deer sideways into trees with the XTP Mags, had them run over 100yds+ and had them collapse on the spot. Shot them out to 180yds with complete pass throughs, and 99% of the time they do pass through.
I guess the more and more I think about it I have found many stripped jackets from the XTP's at the rangs when I dig for them, but I always figured once they hit the animal and stripped the jacket and the lead hit and blew apart it cause more trauma and damage than one that just passed through clean??? Almost like the Foster Type Winchester 12Ga. Smooth Bore Slugs, they hit a animal, and shattered inside causing extreme damage, most deer hit with these collapsed on the spot.
Im always for trying new and better, but I have no reason to change from the XTP Mags, a 100% kill and recovery rate is hard to beat.
(BP)
Old 02-07-2010, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I will run a few tests when the weather moderates here we have been having some nasty weather. Actually hunting I do like the Gold Dot for short range [100yds or so] for long range a modification of the 200gr Lehigh is very good I use 140 gr BH with them and not only do they shot very flat but I have got 1.5 inch groups at 150 yds which is about as good as I can shoot with a 9 power scope.
If I use the SST or FTX type bullet for hunting I normally use the bonded version Shock Wave with 140 gr of BH they are as accurate as the 200gr Lehigh but not as flat shooting, I have use them a number of times and have confidence in them. I can match the 2300 FPS according to my crony so I feel I need the bonded or the bras bullets [ I am sure the copper ones would do well to I just have never gone in that direction].
I wish they would come out with a bonded version of the FTX.
I do know that they have been extensively tested in a cartridge gun [ Bushmaster @ 2200FPS] on boar and showed up well.

Last edited by lemoyne; 02-07-2010 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-07-2010, 11:05 PM
Banned

heres another SST story,
well I just got my meat back from the butcher who cut up my buck that I shot with the flinter. He also had the bullet that was wedged in the hindquarter. I was using Hornady SST-ML Sabot's, 250 grains. I started using these after discovering the old ones I had been using for years didn't shoot out of my Inline at all! I used to use T/C Express Mag Sabots, in 240 grains. About the only difference is the T/C's are a hollow point and the Hornadys have a plastic tip. Anyways the picture will show what happened! The buck was about 10 feet away looking at me when I shot, he started to turn and it struck him off center in front of the shoulder, going through one lung, the liver and all the way back to the hindquarter. I know he lived for about 30 or 35 minutes after I shot because he turned and ran back into the drive and my buddy who was driving watched him lay down and then watched him laying there until he died! I shot three other deer with them this year, the first was a doe in almost the same situation, I watched her turn and run and lay down about 50 yards away dead. There was little to no blood. The next was about 35 yards away, broadside and I shot through the heart, she went about 50 yards also, but had a good blood trail because of the two holes, the third doe was 90 yards and I shot a high shoulder shot and killed her in her bed, no bullets were recovered in those three deer. Anyways just a little rant, I know deer can be hard to find after a muzzleloader hit because of little blood trails, I think this could be the reason! By the way I never had a problem with the T/C's in my flinter, and I haven't shot a deer with the Hornadys from my inline, don't even know if i'll try it now!

Here are both the T/C's and the Hornadys, with the one in the center recovered from my buck.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've come to the conclusion that two people who use the same bullet will often have different conclusions. Doesn't matter which bullet it is either. Bottom line for folks is if you feel comfortable using them, use them. There are bad stories out there about every bullet if you search hard enough. True, some have more than others.

I've been shooting Hornadys since 1991 in both centerfire and ML. In 19 years, I've recovered 1 bullet. I can't even begin to count how many deer I've shot with them in those 19 years but would assume it's around 75 or so. The longest track job I ever had was actually w/a 30-30 using 150g soft points. 75-80 yards with an exit hole the size of a golf ball but he just wouldn't stop.
Old 02-08-2010, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Here are some 300g 44 caliber xtp that i found on the ground behind my usual target location. It seems i have shot around 150 of them in the last couple weeks or so. The ground has a mild uphill slope behind the target location.

Two of the bullets are jacket only; one of them is lead only; six are jacket and lead together. It seems that if one were to set out to shoot rocks and dirts there is a better bullet choice than the xtp, but if one were intending to shoot deer, the xtp probably is an OK choice.

Here is a view of what we saw the other day, from over 100 yard, after the fella shot a 44 caliber 300g xtp at a deer.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

ronlaughlin

Thank you for posting the pictures, your examples are exactly what i think I am trying to relay. Some times the bullets function really well and other times they may come apart, and that is the one thing that i worry about - is when they do come apart. I would also agree with most people that use them most often you will get your harvest even when they come apart. I would just prefer to use a bullet that does not come apart, but has the capabilities of providing complete 'Terminal performance'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.