Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
t/c newenglander 12ga >

t/c newenglander 12ga

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

t/c newenglander 12ga

Old 02-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Spike

Default t/c newenglander 12ga

I got a chance to get one for 120.00,what do you think ? also who shoots one and inlight me about it have no idea on bp shotgunning
it might be some thing to use for some turkey hunting but i see there is no choke system is it full,mod or what
Old 02-03-2010, 06:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I grouse hunt with one. By the way the barrel is worth that at least. I'd hop on that deal so fast that it would shock you. The New Englander 12 gauge is easy to shoot. They claim that Winchester Wind chokes fit the barrel. The problem is my Winchester is a 20 gauge for upland birds. There is a choke on the NE. You can screw it out. Sometimes, especially when loading plastic shot cups you have to, to get the shot cup in the barrel.

I dump 80 grains of powder and then a 12 gauge shot cup, an equal measure of shot from a second cup, then an over the shot card. This is my grouse load, but it seems to have A LOT of power.

You can also buy the wads. Then you dump the powder, put an over the powder card on the powder charge, then a fiber wad, dump your shot on all of that, and then an over the shot card.

My NE is good out to 25 yards. I try not to do shots further then that. Now without my bird dog, it could be a different story. Might just have to get another dog...

Old 02-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Spike

I looked at t/c web site and the new englander came with 2 types one with choke tubes
and the other one cly bore i think cly bore wont be so good for turkey this rife has no chokes to screw in
Old 02-03-2010, 06:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Jeep, I agree with Cayugad. If I ever run across a 12GA New Englander at a price like that my wallet will come out of my trousers so fast the friction may light my butt on fire.

Cayugad: Might just have to get another dog...
A home without a dog is just plain lacking.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Spike

What make that such a great deal ? are they hard to come across ? do think it should work for turkeys i feel with no choke might not pattern well for them
Old 02-03-2010, 06:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Well I grouse hunt with one. By the way the barrel is worth that at least. I'd hop on that deal so fast that it would shock you. The New Englander 12 gauge is easy to shoot. They claim that Winchester Wind chokes fit the barrel. The problem is my Winchester is a 20 gauge for upland birds. There is a choke on the NE. You can screw it out. Sometimes, especially when loading plastic shot cups you have to, to get the shot cup in the barrel.

I dump 80 grains of powder and then a 12 gauge shot cup, an equal measure of shot from a second cup, then an over the shot card. This is my grouse load, but it seems to have A LOT of power.

You can also buy the wads. Then you dump the powder, put an over the powder card on the powder charge, then a fiber wad, dump your shot on all of that, and then an over the shot card.

My NE is good out to 25 yards. I try not to do shots further then that. Now without my bird dog, it could be a different story. Might just have to get another dog...

Nice Picture Dave, it should be framed. Brings back memories of when we had Grouse by the Thousands, you could'nt get near the thick stuff with out flushing a few every few yards. But now there just about gone. I think the Coyotes put a hurtin on them. Now if I see them I just watch as they walk by or listen to the sounds of them Drumming, Music to our ears.
(BP)
Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Even if it is cylinder bore you should still be able to do fine on turkey out to 25yds or so. You can have it jug choked for like $60 to.

I would jump on that deal though! If I came across that deal I would not hesitate.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

What make that such a great deal ?
It all depends on how your brain is wired.

I consider $120 a very good deal for any TC sidelock in decent shape. Personally, I think I would prefer the cylinder bore. Think of the fun of experimenting with shot, patched balls, slugs, canister shot, harpoons, etc., etc.
Old 02-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Spike

sounds good to me will have to get it a try i guess i have to to get some klean x out

.........my wallet is made from onion skin and it makes me cry every time i open it........
Old 02-03-2010, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with breechplug Dave, you should get that pic framed. Awesome pic/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.