Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Youth model wolverine at range >

Youth model wolverine at range

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Youth model wolverine at range

Old 02-01-2010, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Youth model wolverine at range

Took the wife out sunday so she could shoot her new wolverine.for fun we loaded up some NE 460 with 70 gr 777 loose at 25 yds, i was pleasently suprised at the groups about 1 1/2.after 5-6 shots she complained about the recoil some,so i tried loading some SW with the standard black sabot and 70gr 777 loose.well that didn't work out very well,couldn't get the sabot down the GM barrel.i took the rifle apart dumped the powder out and removed the sabot.cleaned it up and pulled some barnes 250 gr TEZ bullets out.she loaded her rifle up again with 70 gr 777 loose and moved the target out to 50 yds,which we measured in advance.1st shot was a little low and right.she let the rifle cool a bit loaded up the same load with the TEZ and touched it off,she asked where the shot hit and i told her i couldn't see another hole.so we walked out and took a look and i was pleased to see the 2nd shot was nearly through the 1st,she was extremely excited and took a pic with her cell phone.she was also a lot more comfortable with the TEZ recoil with the 70 gr load.the GM barrel on her wolverine seems pretty darn tight. not as tight as my triumph but tight lol.at that point it was getting dark so we packed it up and went home.told her next time out we would work on getting it sited at 50 yds.when i have time i will post the pic of the target at her request lol.she did real well considering she has never fired a M/L..
Old 02-01-2010, 04:43 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

Good report Builder, sounds like you got a couple of real shooters. Glad to hear you were able to load down and get good accuracy. I still think the No-Excuses and 100gr would be a great load fer the little lady.
Old 02-01-2010, 05:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by tjj
Good report Builder, sounds like you got a couple of real shooters. Glad to hear you were able to load down and get good accuracy. I still think the No-Excuses and 100gr would be a great load fer the little lady.
my triumph drives tacks with the 250 TEZ.i may play with the 70 gr load in her wolverine a little,will see how hers does at 100yds with 70 gr 777 once we het it sighted at 50.still going to try some gold dots,those TEZ get expensive to shoot all the time..she listens well and her breathing and trigger work are excellent.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:30 AM
Dominant Buck

I have two Wolverines. They seem to thrive on 80-85 grains depending on the powder and some Barnes or Shockwaves. Perhaps you had SST's with the red sabots. Mine will not load them, but the black sabot Shockwaves it loads fine. Of course because my rifles shoot something is no guarantee that yours would.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I have two Wolverines. They seem to thrive on 80-85 grains depending on the powder and some Barnes or Shockwaves. Perhaps you had SST's with the red sabots. Mine will not load them, but the black sabot Shockwaves it loads fine. Of course because my rifles shoot something is no guarantee that yours would.
We started with 70 gr 777 loose, i will experiment more with it.just want the lil lady to be comfortable with whatever load we end up with.the SW's have the standard black sabots that came with them when they sent my triumph.the wolverine seems to have a really tight barrel.the barrel was swabbed between all shots also.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:20 PM
Dominant Buck

Like I said, no two barrels are alike it seems. I shoot the standard shockwaves and mine really like the .40 caliber blue MMP sabots and 200 grain Hornady XTPs. After seeing what Semisane was able to do with them this year I shoot them with 80 grains of powder and have little doubt they will drop a deer. But like you, normally I shoot large conicals.
Old 02-03-2010, 01:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well i think for her shoulders sake in her rifle we will shoot the sabot type bullets lol.my triumph shoots the barnes 250 TEZ so well i think i will stay with them also.was going to buy some 300 gr gold dots,think i will change that to the 250 gr to practice and plink with,since the barnes are so darn expensive to shoot all the time. will see how she feels about increasing her powder charge some,go to 75 then 80 gr loads.thanks for the info!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

What is the difference with a youth model? How do they shoot compared to a regular? Im looking for a Rem 700 and this guy is selling a youth model($100) so I am wondering if they all have the same changes? By your post this Wolverine is a shooter.
Old 02-03-2010, 03:17 PM
Dominant Buck

This is what my wolverine seemed to like. I had mounted a RED DOT scope on the rifle. I later (after a hunting season) decided I did not like the RED DOT. So I mounted a small scope on it. But these are some real shooters. Probably why I bought a second one when I had a chance.
Old 02-03-2010, 06:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only difference is the LOP/shorter butt stock 12.5" vs 14.25 or 14.5".made to fit youths and smaller people.