HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   make your own pellets? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/316078-make-your-own-pellets.html)

MountainDevil54 01-28-2010 10:01 AM

make your own pellets?

anyone ever make their own pellets before? lastnight i took some app2f and poured some water on it, stirred it into a soup mixture and then shaped it into a round patty and let it dry over night. This morning i broke off a small section and lit it off. Looked awesome when it was spinning around in a circle!

Im going to make a 1/2" powder tube that holds 100gr APP and then mold a few pellets to try out.

Semisane 01-28-2010 10:14 AM

That should be interesting. You need a chronograph to tell the true tale though.

MountainDevil54 01-28-2010 10:17 AM

exactly. i'll pm you my shipping address for the chrono!! :D

Breechplug 01-28-2010 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 3565030)
anyone ever make their own pellets before? lastnight i took some app2f and poured some water on it, stirred it into a soup mixture and then shaped it into a round patty and let it dry over night. This morning i broke off a small section and lit it off. Looked awesome when it was spinning around in a circle!

Im going to make a 1/2" powder tube that holds 100gr APP and then mold a few pellets to try out.

MD
you just brought back a BAD Memory from when I was little...remember when you were little and made them Rockets that you put the engines in and they had a fuse and you lit em and they flew way into the clouds. Anyway I took one of the (D) size rocket engines and opened it up and emptied the powder out and took a match and lit it.....BIG MISTAKE, after the Flash and Smoke cleared I was left with 3 fingers that were burnt to the bone, I'll never forget that PAIN!
Be careful next time if you ever try something like that again! and let us know the results of your interesting test.
(BP)

Steve F.in MD 01-28-2010 10:32 AM

I think you have way too much time on your hands.

MountainDevil54 01-28-2010 10:35 AM

theres a big snow storm going on right now. Having time on your hands is a good thing. Why pay the high price for a handful of pellets when you could buy loose powder and make the pellets yourself?

First one was poured into the mold. Its going to take a full day to dry out tho. Didnt go as cleanly as i hoped but its a learning process.

builder459 01-28-2010 10:37 AM

One word "WHY"

Semisane 01-28-2010 10:41 AM

You might try using 91% isopropyl alcohol as the wetting agent.

Semisane 01-28-2010 10:43 AM

Two words - Why Not? :s2::s2::s2:

Three words - `Cuz he can.

Four words - `Cuz he's totally nuts.

MountainDevil54 01-28-2010 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 3565068)
You might try using 91% isopropyl alcohol as the wetting agent.

Exactly what i wanted to use but were are out of it. What do you think about Windex?

Why? I agree with semisane. Why not!!?