Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Muzzle loader question >

Muzzle loader question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Muzzle loader question

Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Muzzle loader question

So, I have a new t/c pro hunter. I am a lifer with the Abolt .270.
I live in Oregon. Lots of crappy ML rules. no 209 primers, needs exposed breach, no scopes, lead only sabots. But I am feeling the urge to use this gun for everything I have used my Abolt for. meaning not ML tag, but regular deer and eld, and maybe bear hunts. I wanted to see how many of you guys have made this switch?
I will never give up a centerfire, but this ML is kinda fun to shoot.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I stopped hunting with center fire rifles many years ago. I have them out once in a while to shoot for fun, but do all my hunting with muzzleloaders. Sounds like you need another rifle..
Old 01-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Fork Horn

Need another Rifle??
Old 01-19-2010, 10:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

I originally came from a state that only allowed muzzleloaders and shotgun with slugs.
Back before rifled barrels were introduced shot gun slugs were not very accurate as a rule. I used a 54 caliber Hawken and Renegade. Tuned up and loaded right they do well out to 150 yds. They are more fun than the inlines any way. I live in AR now and on some rare occasions I do get a 200yd shot [ most are more like 25 or 30yd but we have very liberal muzzle-loader laws so I often take My Triumph or Endeavor out, but if I am going in the brush sometimes I still take one of the 54 calibers with PRB there just something special about doing it with a real muzzleloader like the forefathers of the country used. Lee
Old 01-19-2010, 10:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I gave up the ShotGun and Rifle's 22 years ago. I use the MLers for all My Hunting, I'll never go back! I was bitten BAD! LOL!
(BP)
Old 01-19-2010, 10:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

OregonHunter5

I am one state over... Idaho - we share a lot of the same ML rules that you have actually I blame it all on Oregon - even Washington has relaxed their rules a little also...

I own and use to shoot an A-bolt 270 also... but it has not seen much light of day for over 10 years now... I hunt all season with a ML bt during the regular rifle season I use a modern scoped ML and during our short - very short ML seaon I switch to a Rengade stocked GM-LRH barrel with open sights and shoot lead conicals.... The GM_LRH is a 1/28 twist barrel so I really am not giving up much switching from the inline to the sidehammer...

Suggestion - get another gun dedicated for ML hunting.... there is some really good one out there that will qualify for Oregon...
Old 01-19-2010, 10:31 AM
Fork Horn

I dont see much of a challenge in Rifle hunting now. Muzzy all the way. I like the way people look at me at Deer camp when I tote around the T/C.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am seriously considering doing this myself,muzzle loaders have come a long way as far as accuracy.and they are a blast to shoot also..
Old 01-19-2010, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

I made the switch in 1977 when I bought my first custom flintlock...For several years it's all I used for squirrels, turkeys, deer, whatever...Now I have a .40 and a .54, you want some fun??? Get a .40 and learn to squirrel hunt with it...

I don't just use the flintlocks anymore, just take what I want to...
Old 01-19-2010, 11:54 AM
Fork Horn

Sabot Loader

Good point on getting a dedicated ML. i might do the conversion on the encores .50 cal to the legal primers. i would just have to have a seperate .50 cal barrel. then i would just use the one i have now with a nice scope and good sabots. i am thinking about getting the leupold ultimate slam scope. i have to support the local companies.
but, if i do use this ml for all hunts, is there a big difference in performance with other sabots versus these all lead ones?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.