Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Ohio Muzzleloader Season Thoughts >

Ohio Muzzleloader Season Thoughts

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Ohio Muzzleloader Season Thoughts

Old 01-16-2010, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Default Ohio Muzzleloader Season Thoughts

I was just wanting to know what everyones thoughts are on the 2010 Muzzy season in Ohio. Did anyone take advantage of the season?

I didnt like the change, I liked the way it was before. More students, Military and families were home to take part (plus me). Less deer have shed antlers also. Maybe im just still stewing about the change, I've always had great results.

I hear in early Feb they are having a meeting on the Regs for 2010-2011, so there might be a chance of a change.

Everyones thoughts???
Old 01-16-2010, 09:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

How was it befor and what did they change? Im from N.Y., just wondering what you liked befor vs now?
(BP)
Old 01-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry about that.

It use to be 27-30 of December. Break most peoples Christmas break....now its Jan 9-12.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:40 AM
Spike

the new season was different but turned out well for me. the season used to run dec 27-30 and this year ran jan 9-12. i liked the fact that the deer had a reasonable amount of time to cool off after the regular week of gun season and the extra weekend. last year the deer were all still a little spooky. as far as more shed bucks well i have two thoughts on this yes i can see that being a slim possibility but last year my best friend shot a shed buck during the regular week. this year i harvested a 9 point durling this pushed back primitive season and his horns were firmly attached so i dont know if that is really a big problem. the other thought on this is if your trophy hunting you should be doing so during our long archery season i understand being picky but if you wait until the last firearms season your options are going to be slightly less on bucks after 3 months of bows and 9 days of shotgun gang drives. if you want to harvest a buck with the muzzleloader try using it throughout the entire firearms season.
Old 01-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Spike

oh and i went to an odnr open house like 3 yrs ago to reccomend new regulations and discuss the current regs and at div 1 we were pretty much told they will do what they want and if you want anything changed best get a big washington style lobby group not their exact words but what the majority of us took from the meeting ( who needs a right to retreive law anyway??????)
Old 01-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I found that more than anything the reason a deer sheds it's horns is stress. How harsh the winter was, how much food was available ect. As for (your) season being later it's probably a good thing as mentioned above it gave them time to settle down. With only 3 days of Late ML Season you have your work cut out for you! All My Best and Good Luck!
(BP)
Old 01-16-2010, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I liked the old season better. I hunt Ohio every year when I go back to visit my folks. The old season coincided very nicely with Christmas, so I could go home for the holidays and get in some nice hunting while I was at it. This year, I ended up going for the bonus weekend and staying several days after for an early Christmas. I had a great hunt and got a deer, but it would have been nicer to have the old Dec 27 - 30 dates.

Just my 2 cents....
Old 01-16-2010, 04:30 PM
Spike

Aside from the crappy weather this year, i was ok with it. As stated earlier, the deer were back in their regular feed mode around here. I didn't get out till monday and tues. and took a huge doe on tues. in the last hour. I work construction and get a couple months off in the winter so it doesn't bother me much, but, i do see the point of it being more convenient over the christmas and new yrs holidays for most.
Old 01-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Spike

im not totally defending the new season just saying the recovery time for the deer benefitted us nicely but i myself would rather have muzzleloader inmid to late october or the first of november to catch rut and not after the whole state has been shot to pieces
Old 01-16-2010, 05:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by redneckmike87
im not totally defending the new season just saying the recovery time for the deer benefitted us nicely but i myself would rather have muzzleloader inmid to late october or the first of november to catch rut and not after the whole state has been shot to pieces
I can only say keep dreaming....a ML Season During the Rut!LOL You'd have the Bowhunters screaming. I for one Love the Rut for Bowhinting, a gun season during this time would kill the rut and all the deer would go nocturnal, the rut would only occur under the cover of darkness. I dont live in your state but if it happened in mine we'd, no it would never happen. Enjoy Hunting with your Bow if you do and let them Big Boys reproduce and be lucky you can see them at this time.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.