Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Swbbing between shots???? >

Swbbing between shots????

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Swbbing between shots????

Old 01-16-2010, 02:29 AM
Fork Horn

Default Swbbing between shots????

What method are you guys using to swab between shots. Are you using water, alcohol or something else. I haven't shot Pyrodex R/S in a long time. When I was shooting 777 in my in-lines I would just use a couple of patches dampened with water and then a couple of dry patches. I will be shooting my T/C Hawkens with Pyrodex R/S powder. Do I need to Swab diffenently if I'm using a patched round ball or a conical. Thanks again for all your help.
Old 01-16-2010, 03:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

For pyrodex or 777 I use the same method at the range or in the field: One "spit" patch (both sides) followed by 1 dry patch (both sides).

There are a lot of variations on this. For instance, you can use a patch soaked in cleaner (T/C #13 or windex, etc) kept in a ziplock instead of using a real spit patch. Personally it is just easier to lick one side of a patch to wet it, run that side down, flip it run that side down, then do the same thing with a dry patch.

The trick with either is to use short strokes and slowly work your way back to the breech. If you jam it all the way in one stroke, you might get the patch/ramrod stuck in the "crud ring".
Old 01-16-2010, 03:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

It sounds like your swabbing technique is just fine. I think the main reason to swab is to get rid of powder fouling to enable easier loading for the next shot and what you are doing should accomplish that.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use 1 alcohol patch and 1 dry patch.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

While hunting I don't swab. I figure once you shoot, you may have a chance at a second shot. But I don't think a third will be available. Getting a reload is more important to me then swabbing the barrel and loosing a chance at a second shot. So I don't see any reason for swabbing the barrel during this situation.

Now at the range I will shoot two shots and then swab. This will give me the results I need to mimick my hunting situations.

However, when shooting BH209, there is no need to swab at all!

Oh sorry, when I do swab I use alcohol and dry patch.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

Default swab

I only swab at the range. One alcohol patch after each shot- just run it down and bring it back. The stuff evaporates fast.
Pete
Old 01-16-2010, 05:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

One patch, spit on one side and then the dry side. I do swab in the field if I have time.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:46 AM
Dominant Buck

When shooting a patched roundball or conical you will be able to tell when you need to swab as you will feel the fouling building up in the bore.l So when hunting you might not need to swab as you're only going to be shooting two or three times all day (unless a poor shot or real lucky.. )

When I work up my load I like to swab between shots, no matter what powder I am shooting. Other then APP. I do not swab when I shoot APP in my traditional rifles. I swab my traditional rifles with pure isopropyl alcohol 91%. Then a couple of dry patches. That takes out the fouling and dries in the bore real fast. Then a dry patch or two and I am ready to shoot again.

I have swabbed with Windex or a mix, and spit, water, and cleaners, all of them work. BUT the more water you have in your mix the more you have to be careful to get it all out before you reload. With alcohol that is not as much of a problem as we all know, alcohol will burn.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:01 AM
Fork Horn

find system that works and stick with it... for me 1 wet patch ( tc #13, windex or alchol ) than dry patch using both sides. seems consistancy is the key.

in the field i can't imagine swabbing... just reload for a followup shot, if needed.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:09 AM
Typical Buck

At the range I swab well after every shot.Helps cool down the barrel,and I want to shoot as close to a clean barrel as I can,since I am zeroed that way.Hunting I use a MMP 3 petal EZ sabot for reload without swabbing. Works well,but only one time.

Charlie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.