Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

should i switch?

Old 01-14-2010, 04:34 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by redneckmike87
i thought about blackhorn but it is nonexistant in central ohio so i would have to drive to westvirginia to cabelas or pay ridiculous shipping. i also cant shoot it out of my blk-diamond. i thought about it though until i couldnt find it
your not the first thats complained about availability.if my loads are 100 grains or less with t7 i like the 3f it seems to leave a lttle less crudring but i still swab after every shot,when hunting in winter i use 50/50 windex/alcohol.i do'nt know who was first to use windex but the stuff is as good as anything else i've tried
karl
Old 01-14-2010, 04:42 PM
Spike

the pellets are like 3 yrs old because until this year the omega was just to get 4 extra days with a gun in the woods and now im gettin way into this( the slug gun is up for sale) and want my setup perfect.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

the pellets are like 3 yrs old because until this year the omega was just to get 4 extra days with a gun in the woods and now im gettin way into this( the slug gun is up for sale) and want my setup perfect.
Everyone want the perfect set-up, that's what we all strive for. Trying different things is the only way to know what's the best for you and your ML. Good choice on selling the shotgun, mine was retired along with the rifles back in 89 and I never went back. If you dont like Pyro RS, get some T7 loose and you'll be fine.
(BP)
Old 01-15-2010, 12:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

When pellets first came out several years ago, a buddy of mine bought some to try. When he was shooting I noticed something flying out the end of his barrel. I walk down there to look and it was a pellet on the ground still burning. That happened everytime he shot the pellets. He was shooting a knight with #11 caps. I dont believe that would happen with the 209 primers nowdays, but I just wouldnt break down and buy any pellets. Loose powder has work a long time for me so I will just stick with it.
Old 01-15-2010, 03:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

the crud ring isnt a big problem but the price of pellets is stupid
Why not real black powder??? I'm fortunate in that I have a Goex distributor about and hour and fifteen minutes away...I was in the area last year and stocked up for $11.55 a pound...

I hear some talking about cleaning etc., it's just a non issue to me...If I have to clean it during the season it means I killed a deer... Most of the cleaning is done during a range session...

I started shooting muzzleloaders in the 70s and most of my hunting is done with a .40 and a .54 flintlock so I just use Goex in my Knight...

In addition, the flash point of real black powder is lower so if you are still using caps you should have more reliable ignition...

I remember when Pyrodex came out in the 70s, it was developed because of the higher ignition temp so it didn't have all the shipping and storage regulations...A few years later the marketing folks spun it around to cleaner burning, easier cleanup...