Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

should i switch?

Old 01-14-2010, 03:11 PM
Spike

Default should i switch?

i have been shooting t7 pellets for the last couple years and have just about runout of pellets (have around 6 or 7 loads left ). i get the crud ring in my omega and was wondering if loose would give me less crud ring? also i have noticed that the pellets have cracks on the sides and therefore cannot be exact on the weight. i used to shoot pyrodex rs out of my old rifles and like t7 alot more but have not shot loose t7. also the loose is cheaper and i already have a measure. so to switch or not switch that is th question??
Old 01-14-2010, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I tried loose 777 in my Knight Disc I had the crud ring...

I usually shoot Goex FFF unless I find Pyrodex at a deal...
Old 01-14-2010, 03:17 PM
Spike

the crud ring isnt a big problem but the price of pellets is stupid
Old 01-14-2010, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Switch to loose if only for price alone. If the crud really bothers you convert to 25ACP ignition and it should pretty much be eliminated.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pellets are WAY more expensive than shooting loose powder. Right now you should be able to get some good deals on powder- with hunting season over, stores are trying to get rid of their stocks.

I've had very good luck with T7 loose in FFG and FFFG. Both have worked well, but the FFFG has given me better accuracy and less crud ring. But for me the crud ring isn't such a big deal because I swab between shots. I'll almost guarantee you will improve your accuracy switching to loose powder as well. You can pick up a powder measure at you local store, or order one through Cabelas or another online store.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:34 PM
Spike

whats this 25 acp conversion and what benefits does it have over a regular 209? is it cost effective?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:02 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

you could also try blackhorn powder,no swabbing between shots and you would'nt need to convert your breech.it is pricey but still cheaper than pellets......karl
Old 01-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Spike

i thought about blackhorn but it is nonexistant in central ohio so i would have to drive to westvirginia to cabelas or pay ridiculous shipping. i also cant shoot it out of my blk-diamond. i thought about it though until i couldnt find it
Old 01-14-2010, 04:21 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

I was hesitant of changing to loose also. I finally made the switch to loose and would not go back to pellets. More for the money and more options for developing accurate loads. The next thing I discovered was BH 209. I've been very happy with it. No way would I ever go back to pellets.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me the switch from Pellets to loose powder was the best move I ever made. Not only was it cheaper but I could fine tune a load that was the most accurate out of my MLers using incriments of 5gr's untill I reached peak accuracy. You cant do that with pellets. Also swabbing between shots should help the crud-ring, or switch to a powder like BH209. The cracks in the pellets should'nt matter much in weight as it would'nt even be noticed, there just getting old or handled. Go to loose and you wont be dissapointed.
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.