Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

recoil difference

Old 01-05-2010, 02:50 PM
Banned

Default recoil difference

i was shooting my hawken .50cal all day today and with 80gr APP 2f and the 295, recoil was pretty much non existent.

Late this after noon i loaded up the accura with the same load and holy sob, the back of my head feels like someone was kicking me. Whats up with this deal? Same powder, same charge, same bullet, but a one hell of a kick from the accura. The recoil was actually snapping my head backwards pretty hard.

Both rifles get a tightly compressed load. Maybe the #11 ignition doesnt burn the powder as quickly VS the 209?

What ever the deal is, i shrunk the group big time with the accura by lowering it to 80gr vs 100gr with the 295 powerbelts.
Old 01-05-2010, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've always felt like my sidelocks kicked less than my inlines. Probably has something to do with ergonomics and stock design.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would also be willing to bet that your hawken weighs more than your Accura. Just physics. And as stated the stock design and ergonomics play a role too.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Yep, rifle weight, stock design, length of pull, a lot of things can effect recoil. Never shot an Accura so I can not comment on that rifle.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Accura - 7 1/2 lbs. Hawken - 10 lbs. Nuff said.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Banned

hawken, 7lbs 9oz - Accura 8lb 4oz scoped and having some extra accessories on it.

Im going to have to find a new rifle rest set up. I should have put some sand bags on it but was running out of light.
Old 01-05-2010, 04:52 PM
Spike

Fluted barrel on my Accura. Barrel is one heavy chunk of steel on the T/C Hawken i have. Guys are right about the weight difference being the prime factor.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

hawken, 7lbs 9oz - Accura 8lb 4oz scoped and having some extra accessories on it.
That's amazing Devil. I got the 7 1/2 lb. figure for the Accura from CVA's web site. Actually, they list it as 7 lbs. 6. oz. When I listed 10 lbs. for the Hawken I was thinking of the longer GM barrel I have sitting in my closet. Forgot the factory barrels are a couple of inches shorter.

Has to be the stock design beating you up like that.
Old 01-05-2010, 05:27 PM
Banned

my hawken has a leather sling on it so thats why she weighs a lil more lol.

I dont know what it is, maybe the way i lean down far foward and it makes it feel worse? I'll do some testing tomorrow and see what i can do. If it dont snow! Darn weather, almost 60* today and calling for snow tomorrow?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:31 AM
Typical Buck

Compared with something like triple seven the app powder is a little slower burning and generally takes more barrel length to get all the powder burned. I think you may be correct suspecting that the primer may be a good part of the result. The shotgun primer may be speeding up the burn causing a much sharper pressure curve which would result in a sharper recoil. Maybe somebody else has searched this out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.