Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Interesting APP finding - UPDATE >

Interesting APP finding - UPDATE

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Interesting APP finding - UPDATE

Old 01-04-2010, 09:17 PM
Banned

i forgot about a junk barrel i had in the corner. Its off of saxmans old investarms hawken.

I ran a few patches to make sure everything was clean and dry then loaded up 70gr APP, pulled the nipple to check for powder and then added a little into the drum, these have really small holes going from the drum to the main charge and the APP 2f gets clogged up.

I also loaded a 245gr Powerbelt and starting tomorrow its going to sit outside in the shop where it gets damp due to a leaky roof. I'll let it sit for a week before i mount the barrel and fire it off.

I wasnt going to do this with my other rifles, especially the accura LOL. It will be interesting though to see what it does.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 01-04-2010 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot much APP...though it's convenience was bliss. RS still runs me--the velocity is more appealing and it's cheaper. For fun? You just can't beat APP.
Old 01-05-2010, 01:07 AM
Typical Buck

When my local Cabela's has APP fffg on the shelf it's been priced under $14 per pound. I haven't had any problems with it and it works good in a revolver. I just load 5 grains more and compress it quite a bit. Cayugad uses it in his revolver too, and he posted pictures showing how it blasted through the wood planks backing his targets.

http://huntingnet.com/forum/black-po...remington.html

I will only buy the fffg and would rather pay more to get that then the ffg. I once paid $18 for some APP fffg at a gun show which wasn't such a bad price.
At a recent gun show I actually stumbled across a sealed lb. of Clean Shot fffg. Imagine that!
I bought it for $20 which is still at least a couple of bucks cheaper than when I used to buy it at the gun shop. The powder inside the container shakes just like new and I'm confident that it will shoot at full power just like my other opened container does. Ka-boom!
Clean Shot Technologies was originally from Whitewater, CO. Maybe that's why MountainDevil54 likes it so much.
It's not the best for everything but for some purposes it works great and it's always good to have some around to play with.

Last edited by arcticap; 01-05-2010 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:05 AM
Banned

yeah the plant that makes the powder is in whitewater but they usually stock pile and ship from a place in oklahoma. im going to be trying more of it though out the year though.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

I figure i will leave it outside in the shop for a week straight and test it like that. Fire it off on video to see how it does.

The next test i will leave it outside for 6-8 hours ( normal hunting time for me) then bring it into the house and do it all over again for a week.

Seeing how i was looking to reproduce a hunt, i cleaned out the guts of a #11 cap and washed it out, dried it and place it over the nipple. Its going into the shop now. Jan5th 3:30pm
Old 01-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Banned

Perfect!! A cold front with low clouds dropped into our valley about an hour ago, temp has dropped from 55* down to 36* This will help with the moisture testing.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just curious but has anyone heard anything about Shockey parting ways with APP? I was watching some of his newer episodes the other night (I know they're newer because he was actually using an Endeavor instead of a Pro Hunter) and noticed that they don't list APP with their other sponsors anymore and he also didn't refer to the preview of next weeks show as the "American Pioneer Powder Preview".
Old 01-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Banned

as far as i know, hes still with them.
Old 01-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

MD,I just picked up a jug of the APP (not Gold) 3f,aint shot it yet.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Banned

Scott, take some pictures of the powder if you can, ive never seen the 3f APP so im curious if it will work in my dads sidelock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.