Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Anyone tried Federal Fusion bullets? >

Anyone tried Federal Fusion bullets?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Anyone tried Federal Fusion bullets?

Old 12-31-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Anyone tried Federal Fusion bullets?

So has anyone tried the Federal Fusion bullets for the muzzle loaders? I'm thinking about trying a different bullet for next year instead of the Power Belts. I like the Fusion stuff in my rifle a lot so wondered if anyone had tried their muzzle loader bullets? If so how have they done accuracy wise and how have they done on deer or other animals?
Old 01-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default I am to ...Fusion

Cant believe no ones tried them .
I just bought a new TC Omega and thinking of trying them ,
Any tried them ???????
Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 AM
tjj
Fork Horn

Do a search on here. There was a post and photo approx a month ago by a member. It looked pretty good, I believe he posted weight retention also. SEMI-posted a photo of a gold dot he recovered, and the two bullets looked very similar. I purchased some but haven had time to experiment, the tan CR sabot that is included was way too loose for my encore.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:46 AM
tjj
Fork Horn

Thanks Magnum, thats the one.
Old 01-05-2010, 03:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

hometheaterman

I did not think I had tried them until MagnumMan308 posted his thread today... those bullets are made by Speer for Federal - they use the Gold Dot construction - get some and shoot away they are one tough bullet - a poor man's Nosler Partition.

Far Far Far better than any PowerBelt -I feel I have the test to stand behind that statement.. and you can find a bunch of people on this forum that will give you the same information...
Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, I bought two packs of the 300 grain ones yesterday and tried them out today. I was hoping by buying 300 grain ones they wouldn't shoot that much different than the 295 grain Powerbelts. However, It hit about 5" to the left. So I just moved the scope to the right and started shooting them really well. I really like them for shooting at the target. I know that's a whole different thing from hunting with them but when next years hunting season comes up I think I will give them a shot. This was my first bullet I've shot with a sabot and I didn't think I'd like dealing with the sabots but they weren't much of an issue at all. They also shot just as well as the Powerbelts maybe even slightly better. That's another thing I was worried about is the Powerbelts were accurate so I wondered how others would be.

I'm kind of glad to hear they use the Gold Dot construction. I really like Gold Dots in other calibers. Never tried them for a muzzle loader. However, I'd wanted to try them after reading about them I just wasn't sure where to get them and hadn't seen them locally. So if these are the same thing and I can get them locally I will probably just stick with them.

The powerbelts shot accurately at a target and I killed 3 deer with them in the last 2 years. However, only having a pass through and it was on a small doe didn't make me too crazy about them. Then I had the one I shot and knocked down get away. That's the biggest thing making me want to try another bullet for this upcoming year. I still have 11 months or so left until the muzzle loader season starts up again.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

BTW should I stick with the 300 grain ones or is there a reason to go with something smaller like a 260 grain? What's the advantage of the bigger or smaller grain ones?
Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

In my view bullets are like boobs - they can be too big, but not often.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

hometheaterman

Just my 2 bits... but if you are shooting at whitetail at a range of 200 yards often then go with the 300. If most of your shots are 175 and under - 260 grain. Flatter and quicker.

But Semi's thoughts are interesting to say the least....
Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bought some

Wnet to Dicks Sporting Goods tonight and bought the last 4 packs of fusions .
They are the 50 cal. 260 gr.
Picked them up for $7.97 plus tax a packadge

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.