Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Looking for a decent priced muzzle loader >

Looking for a decent priced muzzle loader

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for a decent priced muzzle loader

Old 12-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Default Looking for a decent priced muzzle loader

Anyone have sugestions on a new muzzleloader ??
I have and old cap shooter and havent been muzzleloading in years ,
Well this past hunting season NY State opened late muzzleloader season in my area , first time in years ....
So I,m looking to see whats new and has a decent , affordable price tag on it .
Loooking at spending around $ 500 on gun ., scope , and set up ..
I,m sure there will be many with there favorites and thats great , It will give me first hand on what not or what to buy ..
Older posts say the TC Omega but what is the choice this year ??
Old 12-29-2009, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since Im a CVA shooter and I have 3 ACCURA's and love em all my first choice would be the ACCURA. Cabela's has them on Sale now BL/BK for $239.99, plus you get $20 off a order over $100 so total for the Accura $219.99
And if you prefer TC, Cabela's also has em on Sale, TC Omega Z5 BL/BK for $279.99 with your $20 off for your order over $100 and a $25 Mail in Rebate from TC your final cost will be $234.99
That should leave you plenty for extra's.
(BP)
Old 12-29-2009, 02:31 PM
Banned

CVA Accura. Its a sweet muzzleloader.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 12-29-2009 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-29-2009, 02:37 PM
mountaineer magic

My vote is for a T/C Triumph . You'll love it.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did you read this recent post? http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...-tc-omega.html

Omega is a really good ML.
Old 12-29-2009, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by SJAdventures
Did you read this recent post? http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...-tc-omega.html

Omega is a really good ML.

That is assuming that you can find sabot/bullet combinations that will go down the barrel. The T/C barrels are really small and many will not load. Also you might have some problem with a synthetic stock as some really do need to be bedded before any decent accuracy can be obtained. Those two problems do not exist with the Accura. Also some Omegas will not shoot full bore conicals and some will. Mine will not!! My synthetic stock is very poor for fit and mine is one of the expensive stainless ones not a Z5. Accuracy was good at first then went south. The stock touches the barrel on one side and is very flexible as synthetic stocks go. I would opt for the laminated one if I had a choice.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

read the reviews at cabelas on the omega and the triumph. box give excellent out of the box accuracy.i own the triumph with a synthetic stock and absolutely luv the rifle.it's light weight,well balanced and drives tacks.a lot of knight rifles are tight bored also which isn't a problem at all. easy fix just give mmp or harvester sabots a call and they can sell you a sabot for about any bullet on the market that will work in th t/c rifles.this is my second T/C rifle,it's american made which i try to buy whenever possible and it's a quality firearm.cabelas has the omega on sell right now for 276.00.thats what i paid for my triumph in november with a starter kit,scope and free shipping.it's still a good deal.i do my homework on everything before i buy it and thier is not one review about the sythetic stocks affecting accuracy.think about it thier not affected bye weather at all.have fun with whatever choice you make..02
Old 12-29-2009, 04:18 PM
Banned

my traditions had a stock like the omega, cheap flexy plastic. If the sun broke out, the stock turned to mush and wouldnt group at all.

i had the omega with the laminated stock and its worth the extra $$. i only have an Accura now.
Old 12-29-2009, 04:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

TRACKER

It would be my suggestion that you consider the Triumph. It is really a mice simple easy gun to use. The breech plug is designed to be clean and to remove blowback from the equation, plus it is removable with you finger tips (Speed Breech)

Really easy to clean the bore.

Speaking of bore - TC's do have a tight bore but with all the new sabots on the market it is fairly east to find one that will fit very nicely.

Accuracy - outstanding - probably one of the most accurate out of the box ML on the market.

Plus it is awful hard to beat the lifetime warranty and their customer service really trys to help when needed, although at times it is hard to get them on the phone - but perserverance pays off.

I honestly do not know enough about the two finishes they offer, the weather shield or the blued. I have one in weather shield blue/black and I have not had a problem with it but I have only had it a year others have complained about some of them - but then again they are lifetime warrantied.

There just a ton of good ML's out there so in the end it should come down to your preference and your individual fit.

Have great time shopping - hope you find what you need.
Old 12-29-2009, 05:34 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

i have a plain jane triumph and it just flat out shoots good.as with ANY M/L you have to match the sabot to the bore which is'nt very hard to do.my nephew has an omega that he has done nothing to but shoot,clean and oil and he has taken deer out to 223yds. with it on more than one ocasion.i believe t/c's customer service is the best in the the industry.you shoud really go out and look them all over yourself and see what fits you best tho....karl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.