Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Looking for a decent priced muzzle loader >

Looking for a decent priced muzzle loader

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Looking for a decent priced muzzle loader

Old 12-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default How long

Just curious on how long the Omega has been out for ?
What stock is recomended , synthetic . thumbhole ?
I noticed its a $200 jump to get the thumbhole camo stock , wow...
Old 12-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Banned

you want the laminated stock on the omega, the synthetics suck.
Old 12-30-2009, 01:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

TRACKER
Some like the thumb-hole some don't, personally I think they are nice on the target range and awkward to carry in the woods.
If you are watching your dollars close the Z5 Omega is on end of the year sale at Walmart if you get one use a inch pound torque screwdriver on the stock to barrel and action screws 28 inch pounds if you do not have access to a torque screw driver just remember NOT to over-tighten the screws the Tupperware stock won't take it. I have one I paid 150 dollars for at the end of the year sale 4 years a go it has not been modified except for putting a vent liner in the breach plug when it got flame cut, it still shoots a minute of angle with a half dozen different loads.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

TRACKER

I have had mine since 2002 and it is an excellent gun.

I have all three stocks, Laminate, Regular Synthetic, and Thumbhole Synthetic.... I am not so sure that he thumbhole is worth $200 more.

The regular black synthetic is an OK stock - it is not near as flimsy as some suggest. I does have somewhat of a problem with the lug pockets being shallow but there is a very easy fix for that problem. There a ton of regular synthetic tocks out there that are being use most everyday. One thing that has not been mentioned even if there is a problem or a problem were to develope years down the road - it has a lifetime warranty...
Old 12-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default Did some price checking

Called around to a few local gun shops on pricing .
They all very but not buy much .
I see the Cabelas pricing and seems good .
I called my local Dicks Sporting and they have the Omega Z5 with camo and thumbhole stock for $374.97 on clearance .
They said it wont go down anymore and regular price was $449.99
Is the only difference in the Omega and Omega Z5 the plastic trigger gard ???
Gander has the camo Omega with thumbhole stock , camo and stainless for $559.99 I looked at so many last night I dont remeber if it had metal or plastic Trigger gard ...
What ya think ???
Old 12-30-2009, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

TRACKER

None of them should have a plastic trigger guard - it is an intregal part of the action of that gun.

There are several small differences between the Z5 Omega and a regular Omega and I guess they all add up...

Here is my take on the whole thing - if this is going to be a gun that is used on occasions for short hunting seasons or to extend your season the Z% will be great. If this is going to be a lifetime gun and a gun you are going to shoot a lot - hunting and target parctice - then go with the real Omega abd even then I would suggest the true stainless model - not the weather shield that looks like stainless... which now brings up another problem... if the price of the good Omega runs up in to the area of the price of a TC Triumph - go Triumph all the way...

Look online for Buds Gun Shop and compare prices there.... not that they are always the lowest but they are close....

http://www.budsgunshop.com/