Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight KRB7 Rolling Block? >

Knight KRB7 Rolling Block?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight KRB7 Rolling Block?

Old 12-24-2009, 02:09 AM
Typical Buck

Default Knight KRB7 Rolling Block?

Found one for a great price, what do you Knight guys think of them. I have elite extreme and original disc Knights so I know they shoot.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 AM
Spike

Roger46982:

I purchased a Knight Rolling Block last summer when prices were discounted. I put a peep/globe sight on it, but I have only had time to take it out to the range 1 time, so I have not had a lot of time to fine tune its accuracy. Overall, its accuracy was good on the first time out; no hangf fires, etc.; and I have every reason to believe that it will be as accurate as my other Knight rifles.

I was using Black Mag XP powder because I heard that Blackhorn 209 does not work reliably with the KRB. As you probably know also, Knight is no longer making muzzleloaders, but for the time being they are selling parts and providing service.

I have read other posts that praise its accuracy. The two possible negatives: it takes some time to clean the trigger assembly and it apparently it won't work with Blackhorn 209.

My overall assessment is that, if you're experienced MZ shooter (as opposed to a newbie looking for your first inline MZ rifle), this is a good MZ to have.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Typical Buck

Thanx for the comeback, the only draw back i can see is that they don't like BH209
Old 12-24-2009, 07:38 AM
Dominant Buck

I have no idea why that rifle always appealed to me. Its been tough to not break down and buy one. I think Underclocked had one and did a real good break down of the rifle. I was not aware of the trigger assembly getting dirty easy. Thanks... that helps me avoid another rifle purchase for the time being.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
I have no idea why that rifle always appealed to me. Its been tough to not break down and buy one. I think Underclocked had one and did a real good break down of the rifle. I was not aware of the trigger assembly getting dirty easy. Thanks... that helps me avoid another rifle purchase for the time being.
I have one but have not had a lot of time with it. I also just liked the Rolling Block action since I have a "Buffalo Rifle" made from a 7MM Rolling Block redone in 40-65 with a lot of extras (Beautiful rifle). I have heard that some have modified the breechplug slightly to accept an "O" ring like the MU plug for the NEF. Not sure how that is working but may be something to mess with. I guess unless there were available breechplugs I might not want to scrap one.
Old 12-24-2009, 07:49 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by cayugad
Same here, if it would handle BH powder i would jump all over it, may just get another Accura
Old 12-24-2009, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't think most would like the hammer mounted safety on the KRB7 (if they were honest about admitting it). Knight should have simply used a rebounding hammer as they did eventually with the KP1. That safety just seemed flimsy, weak, and unnecessary (it IS necessary in THAT design though). I also found priming the rifle to be a little tricky.

I saw one on the shelf at Bass Pro that had a broken safety spring. This made the rifle completely non-operational. I pointed out the problem to the person "working" that counter and that person simply sat the rifle back on the rack with the other new rifles. DOH! Beyond the obvious lack of concern at Bass Pro, the mere fact that one tiny little spring in that hammer safety (which I considered a dumb design anyway) can make the rifle useless impressed me.

The built-in takeup on the KRB and KP1 triggers is something I never cared for as well.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:58 AM
Spike

I would think twice about it until you shoot one. Like the above post i have one and don't really like the double safety. I have another knight MK 85 is why i bought the rolling block but was very dissapointed when after 6 shots the hammer wouldn't stay back and i had to send in the trigger assembly. Lucky as they are out of business. I didn't find out until 2 weeks after i bought the gun or i would have chose another. Just bought an Accura. The prices dropped like a rock now on them. Where i bought it would only give me $150 on trade so i will hang onto it. The safety system made no sense to me and is a pain in the heat of a hunt. Keep it simple. That said they shoot good and can be had for next to nothing. Mine could anyway.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would probably still be shooting mine if I had not gotten a Knight LRH on clearance. It shot well. I actually like the safety. Sure, it takes getting use to, but after a couple of sessions, it is second nature.

The ONLY problem I had is that the trigger assembly on the original rifle I got would get blowback crud and would start missfiring after 10-15 shots due to the crud buildup. I sent the trigger back in and they replaced with a new one. Never really shot it that many times in a row after that, so don't know of the problem is resolved or not. Wouldn't be a problem in the field hunting, because didn't cause a problem till about 10 shots were fired.

The gun is very easy to clean, the whole trigger assembly drops out and can be cleaned easily. And it was accurate, although I only shoot conicals and open sights, so don't know what it can really do. 3 to4 inches at 100 yards is great for me with conicals and open sights!

Acutally that reminds me of the only other problem I had with the gun: the stock does not fall off enough for open sights, so you have to press your check down into the stock to line up the sights. It was really designed for a scope and works well for that.
Old 12-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I really like mine. The only downfall I found is it won't shoot BH209. So I got two containers of BH209 that I will shoot up in my CVA Wolf. Yep I was one that got caught up in the BH209 Blitz. When it's gone I don't really think I'll buy anymore. Just my opinion. As far as my KRB I also had problems with the trigger assembly after about 15 shots but it wasn't nothing a can of Remington Shotgun Cleaner couldn't clear up at the range. Overall for the money it was a good buy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.