Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what size charge

Old 12-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default what size charge

My son would like to try shooting a muzzle loader but i am not sure what amount charge i could start him with and still be affective shooting? I thought it should be lighter than what i shoot so he can handle the kick. he is 13 years old
Old 12-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

We can make better suggestions with a little more info Rhody Hunter. What gun/caliber will he be using - steel buttplate or rubber recoil pad? Are you looking for a hunting load or target/plinking load? What bullets do you use or want to use?

Most 13 year olds can handle a fair amount of recoil once they get used to the gun. Generally speaking, the softest shooting load is going to be a patched round ball with black powder or Pyrodex RS, with something like 50 grains for targets and 80 - 85 grains for hunting. With one of the lighter bullets (like a 240 grain XTP in a sabot) anything from 70 to 90 grains will do the job on deer out to 125 yards with no problem.
Old 12-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Dominant Buck

We had younger then that shooting a Renegade with 80 grains and a roundball. If we had not stopped them they'd of shot all our powder off. The recoil did not seem to bother them at all.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd start him off with a light charge, like 50 or 60 grains. Let him shoot that awhile, then bump him up to 70 or 80 grains. 70 grains is plenty enough for deer hunting out to 100 yards with most bullets.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:28 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by oldsmellhound
I'd start him off with a light charge, like 50 or 60 grains. Let him shoot that awhile, then bump him up to 70 or 80 grains. 70 grains is plenty enough for deer hunting out to 100 yards with most bullets.
That is exactly what I did with my son some years ago. Started with 60gr. until I/he felt comfortable. Then without him knowing, I bumped it to 85gr. He never knew the difference after getting comfortable with the gun.
Old 12-22-2009, 05:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use two different loads for starting kids and ladies depending on the type of gun and twist.
For a traditional with a PRB twist a 45 with 50gr powder.
For an inline a 200gr Shock Wave with 80 gr powder.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

thanks guys . I was going to start him with my gun for practice wich is a TC omega 50 cal.
I shoot a 100 grain pyrodex with a 290 powerbelt.
I'll try him at 50 -60 grains and maybe see if i can get a smaller bullet to start him off
I think you are right i can bump up from there but i didn't want him to be afraid of it at first by kicking to hard. this is all new to him. the most he shot prior was a pellet gun. I thought he was going to shoot a 22 at scout camp but didn't . i think he got intimadated then but has recently expressed an interest to take a gun to go deer hunting. I will get him practicing for next year plus he needs to take the hunters safty coarse. I am not worried about the distance because where i hunt most shots are 50 yards or less . it is rare that you can see to 100 yardsthru the woods