HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Muzzeloder Pistols (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/312992-muzzeloder-pistols.html)

PAHUNTER105 12-20-2009 01:27 PM

Muzzeloder Pistols

Hey Guys,

I was looking into a Ml pistol. I really like them but I have never shot one or anything. I would like to get one for the late season. We do alot of driving and the portability etc would really be beneficial. Anybody her have any opinions? If so, what calibre and make would be the best?

Kelly

Krypt Keeper 12-20-2009 02:00 PM

What type where you talking about. You have the old single shot side lock ones Like the trapper models. Then there is also the single action 6 shot wheel gun (revolver).

I have a .44 1851 Confederate Navy Revolver up on the wall I shot from time to time. Fund to shoot except the 5 minutes required to load up.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...817&id=0006186

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

Would require alot of practice with them to use them for hunting. My .44 isn't exactly accurate with the fixed sights but I know where to aim to when punching paper. *also check your local handgun laws* Some states don't allow handgun use, while others do but not blackpowder pistols and then there is others that allow handguns but only counties that allow rifles.

Good luck. I wanna get a .44 Ruger Super Blackhawk hunter to use for deer hunting next yr. Except I can use a pistol in my county.

cayugad 12-20-2009 02:12 PM

A black powder pistol ... if it is a single shot like a Trapper Model, Kentucky Model, etc.. get as big a caliber as you can if you intend to hunt with it.

A black powder revolver holds six shots. I have a .44 caliber Pieta Target model and it is very accurate, but whether I would want to hunt with it, I am not sure. I would have to be real close to do some shooting with it. I have hunted rabbits with it. Now that is a challenge.

Revolvers come in a variety of calibers, .44, .36, .32, and some custom guns even less then that. Just be aware a good load for a revolver is 25-45 grains depending on brand.

If I wanted to hunt with a Revolver I would go to a Ruger Stainless black powder revolver. They accept a higher powder charge and are top of the line weapons.

If all I wanted to do was plink, my Pieta is just fine. Since mine has target sights, it is very accurate out to 30 yards.

lemoyne 12-20-2009 03:39 PM

I have taken deer with a pistol. I did quite a bit of experimenting before I settled on two to use. The 54 caliber single shot I set up on a contender frame and loaded with a 54caliber PRB was very good deer gun. It was a bit heavy for a pistol though. The other I used was a black powder Ruger with 38 gr of P and a 457 ball with bore butter on top the cylinder after I loaded it. There are a lot of possible choices, I came to the conclusion that if you don't have a good tracking dog available the a large caliber single shot is best.

goatbrother 12-20-2009 05:59 PM

Ruger Old Army if you want the best revolver. For traditional revolvers I like the looks of the Colt 1860 Army. The Remington 1858 is the strogest of the traditional revolvers. Several other choices from the mid 1800's. Steel frames are stronger than brass.

MLKeith 12-20-2009 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by goatbrother (Post 3535003)
Ruger Old Army if you want the best revolver. For traditional revolvers I like the looks of the Colt 1860 Army. The Remington 1858 is the strogest of the traditional revolvers. Several other choices from the mid 1800's. Steel frames are stronger than brass.

Keep in mind that these revolvers are not "muzzleloaders" by most state definition and may not be legal for a muzzleloader only hunt. I know in Arizona it is not a legal "muzzleloader" as it does not load from the muzzle and is not a single shot. I have a Ruger and can not use it legally.

spaniel 12-21-2009 04:58 AM

The legality of C+B revolvers for ML seasno varies by state. They were fine in Michigan when I lived there, I carried an 1858 Remington replica.

If you are going to go the revolver route, do yourself a favor and find a Ruger Old Army. I did use my 1858 loaded with a ball-et and max powder charge of 777 to finish a couple deer, the results were less then spectacular. It's more like shooting a deer with an arrow than a gun, there was no shock damage to speak of and if it would have been the only wound I would have expected the deer to travel a distance.

Personally, unless you find the 50cal Old Army conversion I saw on the internet once I would not carry a six shooter as a primary deer weapon. Perhaps within 10-15 yds but that's about it.

They are not legal where I hunt now in Indiana. In fact most of the traditional-style sidelocks have too short of a barrel to be legal. In the single shot realm, I'd look to the Encore or Contender pistols in .50 or .54 (if they make them). I currently have a project in the works to make one, pending clearance with the ATF as to my plans.

White made a two-handed beast called the Javelina. I've never seen one personally but they were rather unique (and powerful).

Gotbuck 12-21-2009 09:19 AM

Find out what your state allows if you plan to hunt. We cannot have below 40 cal on deer here in MO.

Johnmorris 12-21-2009 09:23 AM

WIS allows any pistol over 22 cal with a 5 inch barrel in gun season. Single shot pistol over .40 cal in muzzle loader season