Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Cleaning question

Old 12-19-2009, 03:31 PM
Fork Horn

Default Cleaning question

So on my Genesis I would put my breach plug in hot water and soak it, then would air it out, etc....so with this speed breach from TC it has o-ring on it...how does everyone clean theirs? Do you still soak it? Or is there a better method for cleaning this breach plug?
Old 12-19-2009, 03:57 PM
tjj
Fork Horn

I remove the O-ring. Use a 1/8" drill bit, spin it in to the flame channel(primer pocket) by hand. This removes the primer carbon. Be careful not to be too forceful,depth wise, you could end up removeing metal.Then I use a couple pipe cleaners soaked with #9 hoppes. In and out a couple times, then a couple dry pipe cleaners to remove excess solvent. Then clean outside with hoppes. Works for me. I always wipe it down good to get any excess solvent off. I'm not sure if the solvent would deteriorate the o-ring or not, easier to remove and re-install.
Old 12-19-2009, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Soaking will cause the o ring to swell - learned the hard way.
Old 12-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, sounds like a lot of work.
I have a Triumph and an Endeavor I wrap a single layer or white Teflon plumbers tape from the "o" ring to the edge of the face stretched snugged and put it in the gun when I take it out to clean it i wipe the crud off after I take the tape off there usually some on the face clean the touch hole with a 1/8 in drill or a # 21 in some cases pass a hat pin thats the right size and squared off on the end through the flame hole in the end of the plug. About a 2 minute job. Then I have a certain tooth brush thats just the right size put a patch with # 9 on it and wipe out the threads in the end of the barrel.
Of course I use Blackhorn which makes it easy. Lee
Old 12-20-2009, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

I soak my my breech plug in hot water nd dish soap while cleaning the barrel. Then just use small brushes to clean interior of plug, dry, light oil and put it away. Never one issue doing it this way.
Old 12-20-2009, 04:42 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks for the tips guys, I was just worried about hurting that o-ring or messing something up....I wonder what size o-ring that is....wouldn't mind having a couple around for spares in case.
Old 12-20-2009, 05:23 AM
Fork Horn

You can buy them in 3 packs at your dealer for a couple bucks.