Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
TC Northwest Explorer >

TC Northwest Explorer

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

TC Northwest Explorer

Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Spike

Default TC Northwest Explorer

Got the new Thompson Center Arms Northwest Explorer in the mail today. I can't wait for the weather to clear up so I can go out and run a few hundred shots though it. It looks and feels great. I'd would have liked to have seen a stainless version of it.

Do any of you have any insight to the 1 in 48 twist barrel that TC puts out. It would save me a little time at the range. I would like to shoot conicals through it. I was thinking of trying the TC maxi!

Best Regards
Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

Last edited by Antler Junkie; 12-16-2009 at 08:29 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Dominant Buck

1-42 TWIST? 1-48 maybe? It might shoot roundball real well or maxiball, even powerbelts. Another thing you could try is some of the large conicals. Post a picture of the rifle if you could.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:32 PM
Spike

A picture..... I can't even figure out how to put up a profile picture.
I will get a couple up this weekend for you (if I can figure it out). Thanks for pointing out the correct twist.

Best Regards
Steve
www.muledeercountry.com

Here is some info on it. Click and it will download. Best I could do for now!
Attached Thumbnails TC Northwest Explorer-spec_sheet_nw_explorer.pdf  

Last edited by Antler Junkie; 12-16-2009 at 08:45 PM.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

An Omega gone old school Just roll some PRBs or conicals down the bbl, surely you'll be quick to find a good load. Get you some mag caps, some RS and hit the range!
Old 12-17-2009, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Here is the picture... have not read the spec sheet yet. But I am pretty sure it will something the PacNorWest states would be interested in...

Old 12-17-2009, 06:49 AM
Banned

they kept the QLA? Pretty sad when the TC tech tells you that their rifles were made for conicals and then they offer something for conicals and keep the darn qla.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe they have figured out why the QLA does not work for some conicals and modified it for this rifle (probably not a reasonable assumption). Most companies that large seem to be so set on the idea that everything they do is perfect they would not accept the idea that their QLA is not as good as other recessed muzzle loading assist barrels that will shoot conicals reliably. The CVA barrels with recessed muzzles seem to do just fine. I think some of the Traditions also have easy load muzzles and also shoot conicals fine. Most do not have the deep recess part that T/C seems to put on their rifles. My CVA is shorter in the recessed part than the Omega that I have. My theory is that due to the depth of the recess when a conical exits the barrel it is still within the recessed part when the gasses start escaping around the bullet. That can cause the bullet to be unstable before it finally leave the barrel. Shorter section will not allow that to happen. Now when the same deep recess is used with a sabot the sabot keeps the gas from escaping around the bullet until after the bullet has exited the barrel and now is stable and in free flight. (so much for an Engineers theory).
Old 12-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think you-all need to remember that they have had the QLA on their recent Hawkens for years also. And you really do not hear many people complining about Hawkens. I have an Older Omega with the QLA and it shoots Bull Shops just fine.

In fact I am pretty sure that Bull Shop Dan has a 54 TC Hawken with a QLA that he shoots in Alaska.

TC long ago said that there was a run of inline TC barrels that the QLA was not centered and suggested if you had one of those to send it in.

So anyway i do not understand the universal statement that the QLA does not work with conicals. Other rifles shooting conicals have some sort of the same feature by a different name and also seem to shoot conicals very well. I would like to think that TC learned from early mistakes...

Shoot! come to think of it I have never shot a conical from the Triumph - I really should give that a try - or has anyone out there already tried it.

Or does anyone have one a newer Hawken with the QLA?

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-17-2009 at 08:20 AM.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

MLKeith

My theory is that due to the depth of the recess when a conical exits the barrel it is still within the recessed part when the gasses start escaping around the bullet. That can cause the bullet to be unstable before it finally leave the barrel.
That was exactly the problem - if the QLA is off-center which several were. If the QLA is centered then the gas escape is equal.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:26 AM
Dominant Buck

My Black Diamond XR has a QLA and it is one fantastic conical shooter. I shoot the .503 No Excuses 460 grain out of it. And believe me, that thing is deadly with them. It would also be legal out west I believe because of the hammer striker design.

I just am not sure I am sold on this new rifle of T/C. Might as well use a Hawkins.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.