Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Hornady XTP bullets/TC Encore >

Hornady XTP bullets/TC Encore

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady XTP bullets/TC Encore

Old 12-15-2009, 03:41 AM
Typical Buck

Default Hornady XTP bullets/TC Encore

I have been shooting thes bullets for several years now and love the way they shoot. The first couple deer I killed were at a farm I hunt and they were shot in an open field so I never had a blood trail to follow. 2 years ago I hunted another spot and shot a doe from about 40 yards. There was about 4 inches of snow on the ground and the deer went over 100 yards before we ever found a drop of blood. Had I not had the tracks in the snow I would not have found her. I have since shot two more deer with these bullets. I have never found blood on any of them. They have all been good shots and the deer didn't go far but had I not seen them fall I would have never found them. By the time the smoke clears from my Encore depending on the area the deer can be out of site. I haven't lost one yet but I am considering swithcing bullets for fear of not finding one. I shoot 100 grains of pellets. The buck I shot this year was through the chest right behind the shoulders and I found the bullet still in the hide on the other side. I was shocked it did not go through and through. Any one else have good or bad reviews of these loads.
Old 12-15-2009, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

I love them in my T/C Black diamond. 300gr .430 and a crush rib sabot is bad medicine for whitetails. Never a problem with blood trails if hit well.

Mitch
Old 12-15-2009, 04:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Throw this over on the black powder section, many guys over there shoot the Hornady XTPs...Now, are these the Mags or standard bullets??? Are they the 300gr, 250 or 240s???
Old 12-15-2009, 09:50 AM
Spike

My son shoots the 250 Gr. XTP's out of his T/C Encore with 110 gr's of 777 loose.
Has killed three deer with this load.
We recovered one of the bullets this year from a doe shot quartering away,about 75 yds--bullet mushroomed perfectly & weighed 227 gr.'s. Obviously excellent weight retention.

Mark
Old 12-15-2009, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot the 250 grain version in my Encore with 100 grains of Pyrodex and I've had excellent results with them. My Daughter, both Sons and my Dad also use the same loads in their Encores and Omagas and none of us havehad a complaint ye, in the several years we've used them. This season my oldest son shot a small buck that was slightly qartering towards him. The bullet entered in the shouder, passed through the chest cavity and stopped just under the skin on the far side. I was very surprised to find that the bullet had NOT mushroomed! Instead it appeared that the tip had only folded over and I'm sure there wouldnt have been a impressive blood trail to follow..... however, the buck dropped in his tracks so no tracking was needed.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

I have been shooting the XTPs for several years now....Shot the 240gr for awhile and switched to the 250 gr this year......Both have preformed excellent....
Old 12-16-2009, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

I have been shooting XTPs for years. I don't buy the pre-packaged stuff so I can't speak for the 250 grain bullets. But I have shot the .44 and .45 cal bullets in 240 grain. Never had an issue with either. Also shot the .44 cal 300 grain XTP for a few seasons but got away from them since I had to special order them from the shop. But wow, the extra 60 grains was a hammer on the deer I shot.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I shoot the 240grs & 90grs of Pyrodex out of my Knight Wolverine.....
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm moving this to the Black Powder section. You'll get a lot more opinions from dedicated muzzleloader guys there...
Old 12-16-2009, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the 200grn xtp's and had have nothing but good luck out of my 50cal Encore. I use the Harvester ribbed(for my pleasure) sabots to make loading much easier. I used to use the 240's and had no problems with them killing but my gun groups the 200's much better. Im using 777 powder.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.