Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Got a Spotted Boar This Evening >

Got a Spotted Boar This Evening

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Got a Spotted Boar This Evening

Old 12-13-2009, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Got a Spotted Boar This Evening

The vast majority of the hogs in this area are black. It is nice to shoot one that is not black once in awhile. Shot at this guy and missed when he came by my stand one week ago. Made up for it this afternoon when he was coming in to the same feeder. Pulled my knee up to the upper rung of the ladder and got a good rest.

The bullet hit the hog behind the shoulder breaking a rib. It exited the opposite side leaving a 3/4" hole. At the shot the hog took off and ran about 75 yards before hitting the ground hard. He thrashed around for about 45 seconds an expired.

The heart, lungs and diaphram were destroyed.

Attitude: Standing broadside
Range: 110-130 yards

Gun: Encore
Scope: Zeiss 4x32 Conquest

Bullet: 250 grain SST in Low Drag sabot
Powder: 110 grains of Goes 3F Pinnacle
Primer: Winchester shotgun
Attached Thumbnails Got a Spotted Boar This Evening-boar-13-dec.-09-small-.jpg   Got a Spotted Boar This Evening-boar-13-dec-09-2-small-.jpg  

Last edited by falcon; 12-13-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

CONGRATS on the bacon man!!! I've always wanted to kill a hog someday, just won't see one here in IL though!
Old 12-13-2009, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice porker gonna be some good eating for sure.
Old 12-13-2009, 05:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Falcon... do you think some of these hogs you are shooting at still have some domestic traits? I ask this because of the spots on this one. Yet the long hair and elongated snot sure make this a wild pig.

Nice shooting. You and that Encore are bag hog medicine for sure. Way to make bacon...
Old 12-13-2009, 06:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good shot. Congratulations.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:28 PM
Typical Buck

I'm sure those are feral hogs like the ones in FLA. The ones there are the descendants of Ponce de Leon (or at least some of his herd that got loose).

My Youngest took one just about identical to that one a fews years back with my cap & ball revolver - made a great wall mount.
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...34387275CZRCZm
Old 12-13-2009, 07:36 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree they probably are wild hogs, but I never knew they came in such an array of colors like that. I just wondered how far down the breeding line they have to go.

I saw on TV a while back. And all the hogs they were coming across were brown or black. They were all a mud brown/black with the long snouts and long hair. Some guy was going into a pen with them with a pig board. He was testing how fast they could tear a dummy's legs open. It took the hog about ten seconds and he had three gashes in a leg of that dummy.
Old 12-14-2009, 03:17 AM
Boone & Crockett

Falcon... do you think some of these hogs you are shooting at still have some domestic traits? I ask this because of the spots on this one. Yet the long hair and elongated snot sure make this a wild pig.
My hunting partner says this one is a spotted Poland China. There a lot of hogs here with very little or no Eurasian boar blood. Have killed a couple that were totally red, probably Duroc or Tamworth. Killed a huge American Landrace sow a few years ago; totally white, very long with 14 pig nursing stations and huge floppy ears. There are also a few banded hogs running around. Got a hog a few months ago that was all black with big ears.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Dominant Buck

Having been around hogs most my younger life I picked up on the spots as well. Duroc were usually the boars I on the farm. They were a longer leaner hog and gave more bacon. They also had a rotten attitude. Hampshire's were the sows most the time.

This show I watched about wild hogs on Discovery was really good. They trapped a number of them. (all the darker kind) I believe they were in Texas where they filmed this. But those hogs while not huge, sure made up for it with aggression.

Another show I watched mentioned Picory. In the deserts where this little monster runs around, the narrator was saying they travel in bands and will attack for no reason. Sounds like a good thing to stay away from.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Another show I watched mentioned Picory. In the deserts where this little monster runs around, the narrator was saying they travel in bands and will attack for no reason. Sounds like a good thing to stay away from.

Never hunted peccary, aka javelina. Saw one at a water hole a few years ago. The experts said i saw something other than a javelina.

We took a hog to the butcher shop Monday of last week. That butcher took in three javelina that morning. They were killed around Gould, OK. They are either populating south western OK or someone brought them into the state: Javelina are not native to OK. With the hog problem, we absolutely do not need javelina competing with the deer for food.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.