Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
having trouble unloading my cap and ball revolver >

having trouble unloading my cap and ball revolver

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

having trouble unloading my cap and ball revolver

Old 12-12-2009, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default having trouble unloading my cap and ball revolver

I took my revolver along with me when i went deer hunting last weekend just in case i saw a grouse, but i never saw one and i didn't shoot it, so now i am having problems pulling the balls. I use hornady balls and they are really hard to screw my bullet into. If anybody has any ideas please let me know, plus i shoot 777 loose powder so will there be any ill effects after leaving it in the chamber for this long?

Pat
Old 12-12-2009, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BOYWONDER
I took my revolver along with me when i went deer hunting last weekend just in case i saw a grouse, but i never saw one and i didn't shoot it, so now i am having problems pulling the balls. I use hornady balls and they are really hard to screw my bullet into. If anybody has any ideas please let me know, plus i shoot 777 loose powder so will there be any ill effects after leaving it in the chamber for this long?

Pat

I'd shoot them off, there just RB's, not very expensive
Old 12-12-2009, 07:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

+1, just shoot it. Unloading a C+B with the lead wedged into the chamber as they are designed, is loads harder than pulling a patch-wrapped ball from a rifle.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:33 AM
Dominant Buck

+1 shoot it off. those balls are forced onto that cylinder. Some even shave the ball. They would be a devil to pull.

The only other thing you could do is take the cylinder out of the revover... take the nipples out, and use a small screwdrive or ice pick like tool and drive them out from the back. BUT I never did that. I just liked shooting the thing too much.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it is not practical to shoot it in a reasonable amount of time the pull the nipples and get the poeder out, the get a peice of brazing rod that will just fit through the nipple socket and rest it on the ball and tap on it till the ball comes out.