Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura Problems?

Old 12-18-2009, 04:43 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

thanks for the info breechplug...also I dont think I was being very consistent each shot because I was excited to shoot it and probably looked like a little kid on christmas morning and I was in a hurry becasue I only had a hour of light left.I bet I coud get the groups down to 1 inch at 75 or perhaps even at 100 yards....With a scope it is going to be a tack driver for sure.
Old 12-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep! And that first outing was a good one. You can't know how long it took me to get anything like that sort of accuracy waaaaaay back when I first got into muzzleloading. Aint the internet neat?

I do recommmend you run a couple more patches through that bore a couple of days after cleaning. Just a good routine to get into and, with Pyrodex, it's better not to take chances.
Old 12-20-2009, 06:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Breechplug
UC, I take it CVA made the Winchester Apex? I kinda thought they looked pretty much the same as the CVA Kodiak. I have a Kodiak and I was'nt all that Impressed with it, it shot good but I did'nt like the receiver and action set up.
BPI makes all of them. BPI had several brands but have settled on CVA and the others have been discontinued. CVA handles the servicing of all BPI rifles. The newest branding attempt by CVA is with the "Bergarra" name. It's been a glowing success from what I can tell and has completely reversed the image they had a couple of years ago.

I really like my SS Win Apex. The trigger has absolutely no creep and the rifle shoots anything I put in it. Like you, I consider the action a nuisance when cleaning with water ... however, using smokeless solvents with the BH209 duplexes it is much easier to clean. I haven't been into the breech block but after 3 years and over 400 rounds the trigger is like it it was when it was new. Every so often I spray some rem-oil in there.

Alot of folks have omegas and love them like I do my Win Apex. Only 4-5 years ago, (with the execption of the Pro-Hunter) these were the "top of the line" for both manufacturers.