Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura Problems?

Old 12-14-2009, 08:09 AM
ogg
Fork Horn

got my accura from the UPS guy today.Talk about quick delivery,I ordered it Saturday,shipped the same day,and recieved it at 10:40 this morning...I absolutely love this gun.It looks great,feels nice when shouldered,and the trigger is very nice.Now I know why breechplug has 3 of them.Im glad I got the stainless steel,it looks great...I got it all cleaned and was suprised how dirty the inside of the barrel was but it cleaned up easy......I have a question about the breechplug though.What type of grease should I use and how much?I have a can of grease but no idea what type it is because theres no label.

Last edited by ogg; 12-14-2009 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:46 AM
Banned

you can go to the autoparts store and find a tube of Lubriplate motor assy. grease. Its around $6-8 for a large tube. Dope up the plug and just reinstall it and tighten it up *finger tight*

Now i also would take down the rifle and get some Flitz Polishing compound. It protects the steel from rust for up to 6 months. Take off the sights and pretty much whatever you can get off safely and rub it down in this stuff then buff it off. Makes for super easy clean up.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:38 AM
ogg
Fork Horn

ok thanks for the info.How long should I leave the grease on there?Remove it when I clean it after shooting and apply new?
I took the barrel of and inspected it and there are no cosmetic cracks like in Underclocked's pictures.It actually doesnt even touch the sharp edges on the sides...Ok last questions,I promise.
How often should I swab the barrel when shooting?And how often should I clean the plug?And should I fire a primer off before I load and shoot it for better accuracy like the owners book says to do?

Last edited by ogg; 12-14-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

ogg

If you get a chance send a PM to underclocked and him how he puts his breech plug. He is ahead of the curve and might save you a lot of time down the road.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

On the Accura, a single layer of pink teflon tape (Oatey brand) over the threads with a dab of Amsoil Food Grade grease over the tape at the forward threads. I haven't wrapped over the nose of the plug yet as SL does and so far the blowback (except for Swiss pushing 497 grain conicals) has been negligible. Slick50 ONE grease will do the job also (Wal-Mart).

Clean it after every shooting session or at least every few days when hunting.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

ogg

You can run but you can not hide from UC - he finds these posts all the time. Now that UC has shared his method - I would like to add my information.

And as UC indicated I do over wrap the nose of the breech plug as an aid in sealing the nose of the BP against the flange in the barrel... The excess material will be blown back against the rim of the BP and help seal from blow back.

Here is an example of a wrapped Knight plug.. This Knight plug fits tigher than the norm so I use the thinner white tape on it.

Last edited by sabotloader; 12-14-2009 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:58 PM
Banned

if you use teflon tape, I use the white stuff, It will require TWO wraps around the front of the plug or else it just gets blown off. The only blowby fouling the accura produces, is from the primers. Winchester W209's are super clean but they do require you to swab between shots in order to get the next charge down.

After i get done shooting i'll get some tips for you on the plug along with primers and loads. They are a very easy rifle to get up and running.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:44 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

Is there a way to change the hammer extension and put it on the left side?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ogg
Is there a way to change the hammer extension and put it on the left side?
ogg
First off Congrat's on your new ACCURA, Im sure you'll be Pleased! The left side of the Hammer is threaded for the hammer extension so Im sure it can be removed and switched to the other side, Id put something over the extension while attempting to remove it so it does'nt get a burr wich will cause a sore thumb after many firings. And remember to only (finger tighten) the Breechplug or you could have a problem getting it off, it does'nt need to be torqued down tight.
And when your ready to work on a load feel free to ask me, UC and MD, between us we should get you shooting good groups in no time, also anything else.
Have a Blast!
(BP)
Old 12-16-2009, 12:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot.....as for swabbing the bore, I usually do it every 2-3 shots, I tried it every shot and I had the same results as with 2-3. Im using Pyrodox Powder, If you use something else it may require you to swab every shot, just see what works for you. Usually you can tell by how hard the load loads or when your groups start to vary. As for firing off a primer befor loading, you may find it helps for better groups as a slightly fouled bore is usually more accurate than a squeekly clean one. I have found that befor a Hunt I will the day befor or whenever possible shoot off a load, then just run a patch down the bore befor loading. But remember to know where your second shot is after shooting, the second shot is the one that for me will be the one that is right on the money when it comes to my Hunting shot.
Some may agree with me on this others may not, some like a clean bore first shot, other's may like a fouled bore first shot. Also monitor your bore if you use a fouled one, untill you know your ML and how the bore will react to being dirty and how long you keep it untill it's cleaned is all up to you. I use (Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner) on the bore, it protects well and Im not worried about the bore being fouled for a week or so befor I shoot it again.
Success to you!
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.