Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Accura Problems?

Old 12-12-2009, 01:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Pglasgow
UC,

It's possible that those cracks were caused when the welds cooled down. In which case, they would have been there when you got the rifle but you didn't notice them.

I love the consistency of blackpowder but it gets whatever it propels to velocity quickly and the recoil just seems sharper. I have a friend with a Savage ML. We were shooting the Buffalo 375 SSBs with 44 grains of 4198. I was amazed at how modest the recoil was because were were getting velocities above 1650 with it. 100 grains of 3f black powder can not do that and I can tell you, that the recoil with 100 grains of 3f Goex is pretty sharp under a 375 grain SSB. It leaves a mess around the plug like that also.

UC that breech plug in the Accura looks alot like the plug in my Kodiak Pro. Do you know if they are the same? If they are, does BH 209 work consistently in the Accura?
Pglasgow, the Breeclplug's are the same. The ACCURA, APEX, OPTIMA, KODIAK and KODIAK PRO are all the same.
(BP)
Old 12-12-2009, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not quite, unless you mean the Winchester Apex (by BPI). The new CVA Apex has an entirely different plug. Fancy devil.

Win209A FG.

Phil, I don't think they were there from the get-go but they might possibly have been. I just know they haven't changed one iota since I did notice them. No issues at all with BH209 in the Accura so long as one uses one of the hotter primers.

Last edited by Underclocked; 12-12-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 12:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Underclocked
Not quite, unless you mean the Winchester Apex (by BPI). The new CVA Apex has an entirely different plug. Fancy devil.

Win209A FG.

Phil, I don't think they were there from the get-go but they might possibly have been. I just know they haven't changed one iota since I did notice them. No issues at all with BH209 in the Accura so long as one uses one of the hotter primers.
UC, when I ordered a extra Breechplug from CVA for My ACCURA the Invoice say's (Breechplug for APEX/OPTIMA) So unless they messed up and sent me the wrong one (but it looks the same as My ACCURA's) I was just assuming it was the same for the CVA APEX?? They are the same for the ACCURA, OPTIMA and KODIAK though. But you have a APEX and I dont, so I cant argue with you on this one, LOL
(BP)
Old 12-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Banned

they most likely mean the winchester apex. its the same as my accura's plug. which means, consistency with bh209.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Breechplug.

The CVA Apex is a whole different animal than a Win Apex. The Win Apex is discontinued and is the same design as the Kodiak Pro. Judging from my two examples, I would say that the Apex was the "cream" and the Kodiak Pro was the "milk". Like the difference between a "Trans Am" and an ordinary "Firebird".

The breech plug in the CVA APEX doesn't have a hex end. It is intended to be removed by hand for cleaning.
Old 12-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

CVA APEX plug.

Accura/Win Apex/Optima plug

Old 12-13-2009, 05:29 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

I can hardly wait for my Accura to arrive now.I ordered it from Cabelas and I just found out you can check the tracking of where its at and it says shipped Dec.12, and was origin scanned the 13/Columbus,which is only a hour away from me.Does this mean its in Columbus or thats where its heading next?Seems awfully fast for it to get here tommorow.I use standard shipping too.
Ohio's 2 shotgun season is this weekend and It would sure be nice to know when its coming so I know if ill have time to sight it in for this weekend....

Last edited by ogg; 12-13-2009 at 05:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2009, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

My guess is your rifle will be out for delivery tomorrow. Check in the morning and it should let you know.

Be sure to thoroughly clean it when you get it.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
they most likely mean the winchester apex. its the same as my accura's plug. which means, consistency with bh209.
UC, I take it CVA made the Winchester Apex? I kinda thought they looked pretty much the same as the CVA Kodiak. I have a Kodiak and I was'nt all that Impressed with it, it shot good but I did'nt like the receiver and action set up. The action cant be disassembeled for cleaning and it's attached to the barrel and get's in the way when you clean the barrel. It was the last ML I shot 150gr's of Pyrodox Pellets from (mag-load). It actually handled the load pretty well, I used 204gr XTP Mag, Win W209 Primers and 3-50gr Pellets, and shot 2"groups at 100yds.
But after just 2 Seasons and 2 Bucks I retired it for My New ACCURA's, it's still brand new looking but will most likely never be used again only if I need to loan it out for some reason.
(BP)
Old 12-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry MountainDevil that last reply was suppos-to-be for you not Underclocked, but UC thank's for the pic's and the follow-up reply about the CVA Breechplugs. I see the APEX's Breechplug is redesigned and can be removed with your fingers. You also stated it was (easy) to remove after a bunch of shots with no problems. I read your report on the APEX and was Impressed! I think the Wife may have ordered me one for Christmas.......Lucky ME!
(BP)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.