Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Why my friend saw no deer this season >

Why my friend saw no deer this season

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why my friend saw no deer this season

Old 12-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Why my friend saw no deer this season

A friend of mine sent me these trail cam photos. They hunted hard all season and never saw a deer and hardly any sign. He felt these pictures might explain why...

He had this timber wolf walk right up under his tree stand to where the trail cam was set up. Note the time of day. He thought this might be a reason the deer were not coming through.

Little wonder why he saw no deer.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:35 AM
Fork Horn

Yep Dave I hear you,they are every where up there.
Here is a popular writer story of shooting 2 does in your town
RC
http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/...rs-coming-back
Old 12-09-2009, 08:37 AM
mountaineer magic

That looks like a good reason. I wouldn't mind not seeing a deer as long as I could shoot them suckers instead. Now if i couldn't take the Wolves out ,then I would be a little upset with the way hunting season went.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:06 AM
Typical Buck

Dang, I would poop myself if I saw that coming out the brush under my stand.

I thought this thread was going to be a funny reason..

I put my 18 yr old nephew on the hottest spot on the piece of property I got to hunt. Sign is everywhere, tracks, rubs, scraps, deer poop litters the ground everywhere. He never see's a deer. I went to his stand and under it is a pop tart wrapper. Hmm okay, last weekend we were hunting both with blackpowder. I had cleaned both guns completely a few days prior with him there with me. An hour after day light I remembered him capping the gun but never loading it back up. So I get down and walk to him. Its been raining and I could run and barely make any noise. I see him in the stand looking down at his feet, no blaze orange on and saw him leave the truck with it.

He had a big thick head pullover, and was sitting on the hat. (chewed him for that) Also said he was listening for deer. WTF? Are you serious? Unless they started climbing the stand you would never hear them.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's why our Deer sightings have been low also. Were loaded with Coyotes, where ever you see Deer tracks in the snow you see Coyote tracks. We still have a good supply of Deer but there super spooky and always on red aleart. I feel for your friend and know what he's going through.
What we do besides shooting everyone we see during the season is we find road kill deer and use them as bait to attract the Coyotes after the season closes, then we hunt them at night and get a bunch, we hate them BASTAR%#!!!!!!!!
(BP)
Old 12-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Spike

I shoot coyotes every chance i get. Shot one with the pistol this year deer hunting. If we had wolves i would do the same. Grandfathers got rid of wolves for a reason. No reason to have them here now. Same with mountain lion. If you see coyotes go through you will not see deer. Period
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also a few mornings ago I headed out to my spot twords the swamp, I went alone as none of my buddies wanted to go there that day. On the way in in the dark I heard what I thought was a bunch of deer I spooked, there was snow on the ground. On the way out in the light near where I thought I spooked the Deer was nothing but Coyote tracks, it looked like about 8-10 of them togeather. We've had Coyotes trap Bowhunters in there tree stands, and also attack Hunters. I got a little worried after this happened as I only had my trusty ML with me and if anything happened I only had one shot. Besides the Coyotes we have Bear, so a walk in the dark 2 miles into the woods to the swamp get's a little scarry when your alone. Does anyone else have the same problem? You can admit to being scared I did and Im 6'6" and 240lbs.
(BP)
Old 12-09-2009, 09:24 AM
Dominant Buck

Redclub... the DNR Warden my friend talked to was told there were no wolf packs in his area. Wonder where these fellows came from?

I have a large pack near my place right now. They are running the whole country side. You hear them howl at night. My neighbor (3 miles away) said they had two of them in their yard the other day looking at their rabbit cages. He yelled and they took off of course.

With the blizzard going on today, that will slow all the animals down out there. All of them will be hiding. Just like me, in the house feeding the stove...
Old 12-09-2009, 09:38 AM
Fork Horn

We have the blizzard here 2, over a foot of snow but its the last day of ML season so I will be out there, Last evening during the start of the snow ,I seen 13 does and fawns. The stand I will use is enclosed tho. No wolves down here but the deer herd is way down. Lots of Earn-a Buck seasons in the past. Doe season starts tommorrow but no shooting of does by me for the next several years.
RC
Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

Dave as much as I hate wolves those sure are some great pictures
RC

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.