Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Why my friend saw no deer this season >

Why my friend saw no deer this season

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Why my friend saw no deer this season

Old 12-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Typical Buck

deer ,moose and wolfs all live in the same area ...wolfs do not feed on moose or deer when the lakes are not frozzen ..they're main food is BEAVERS untill the big freeze than they have no choice and go after big game ..where i hunt i checked the wolf scat and the all contained beaver hair .they do get big game occasionaly but it is not they're main diet in spring ,summer or fall ...but coyotes will hunt and kill anything that they can get they're teeth into ...
Old 12-09-2009, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

S.... S..... S......
Old 12-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Typical Buck

shoot.....shovel.....shut-up ...
Old 12-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Spike

Default why my friend saw no deer this season

hello been a wildlife artist for 45 years the animal in the photos are northen coyotes'gray wolfs are 90 to 145 pounds Northen coyotes are 35 -60 pounds and have a broader head and a more powerfull muzzle and smaller ears saw no deer in the catskills this season coyotes are killing them off
Old 12-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Spike

ment wolves broader head
Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in Bland cty virginia. I saw many more coyotes this year then deer. after deer season ends in jan i plan to bait for coyotes and spotlight them on the bait.I want to kill as many as possible. this year i was averaging seeing just one deer a day. 5 years ago i would see 10 to 20 a day.i have not heard of blue tongue in this area either.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:42 PM
Fork Horn

We also have a problem here in the Portage Wi. with a couple of small wolf packs. Our biggest problems are the coyotes. I think they out number the deer herd. Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up, Leave it up to the DNR and they will destroy the rest of our deer herd.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I would agree that the middle pic with the group are coyote. But the top and bottom definitely look like wolves to me. Long lanky legs and larger than the coyote in the middle pic.

Actually maybe I am wrong about that. I defer ....

Last edited by Pglasgow; 12-09-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
I live on the eastern part of VA and been told for yrs there are no mountian lions and bear this way. Coyotes are becoming a problem here recently also. Its funny also how me and several of my friends including my boss (up close and personal) have seen a mountain lion in our area, it got captured on a trail cam this yr also.

Also bears being hit by cars have gone up, and now you can shoot bears in my county this yr.

They just didn't move this way overnight.

Breech I would look into getting a CCW to have on you. I hunt bow and black powder all season. After the mountain lion adventure we had several yrs ago I always have a sidearm on as do my friends. With my CCW permit it also allows me to carry during bow and blackpowder.

I am only 5'9" and just over 200lbs. Can't convince critters I taste bad so I try to be better protected. If you can't carry a sidearm look also into stuff like pepper spray for bears. Better than nothing.
We have also been told there are no Mountain Lions here, but there have been a-lot of sightings of them here and also photos and trail cam shots of them. There here but they dont want to get people worried I guess. Were not allowed to carry during Archery Season, but we can of course during firearms season, but it's kind a hard to shoot something you cant see in the dark when it's attacking you. This may seem dumb but I have my knife open and ready to go and razor sharp, if I get attacked I can do a-lot of damage with my knife when I have something attacking me, I'll get a few of them befor they finish me off and drag me into the swamp to be never seen again!
(BP)
Old 12-09-2009, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome pictures. Are ya"ll not allowed to hunt wolves in WI?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.