Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Best ML for the money >

Best ML for the money

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Best ML for the money

Old 12-09-2009, 07:14 AM
Fork Horn

Default Best ML for the money

OK, I know there are many great ML out there. What in your opinion in the best side lock on the market. And what is the best inline on the market.

When I say best I'm talking about.

Appearence
Fit and finish
Sights
Accurate
availabilty of parts
availabilty of accesories
Price
Best for conicals
best for sabots
Ease of cleaning

Also, if you have a favorite that may not be considered the "best" please let me know. For me it isn't always the quality or price that makes it the best, but the fact that a perticular gun or bow just gives you the confidence needed to make the shot when the moment of truth is in front of you.
Old 12-09-2009, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I haven't shot many different sidelocks..but I do cast a vote for the T/C Hawken as a capable classic! And if I were to go get a new inline--I'd get a Triumph! Though I have no trouble with my Omega.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:34 AM
Dominant Buck

Living where you do, I would look for a White Model 97 Ultra Mag or a Super 91. There is no better conical shooter and sabotloader proved to us they are good with sabots as well. The fit, finish, and quality of the rifle is hard to compare to. Also White has opened up their parts shop now. Although I never had a lot of problem getting anything for mine.

This White will do it all.

In traditional rifles I agree, a T/C Hawkins with a .54 caliber barrel would be my choice.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

What Cayugad said is very good advice, I hunted CO. with a Ml numerous times and The White is by far the best conical shooter. Its made for conicals (which you have to use in CO.). Probably have to find a used one but there are lots around, Bunch of fella's just got new ones for $225.
RC
Old 12-09-2009, 01:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep! think Cayugad hit it square...
Old 12-09-2009, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know about the sidelocks but IMHO the best inline right now is the CVA Accura.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:15 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks, I already have a T/C Triumph, it shots pretty good, but it is not made for conicals and thats what we have to shoot here in Colorado. I also have an old T/C side lock, I'm not sure of the model. The gun shots like there is no tommorrow. The problem is that the damm thing breaks the spring and rod that run the hammer ALL the time. I mean it used to break about every 4 shots! I have fixed the problem ......I hope. However I'm not sure I want to hunt with that gun, I just don't have alot of trust in it.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

The CVA Apex is another that will do it all but the White is probably better suited to your needs. The UltraMags are super. Finding one can be a real problem.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:48 PM
Typical Buck

T/C BlackDiamond......mine will shoot anything I put in it and shoot it well out to 100yds. You should find one used for less than $150.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Hard to beat a White Rifle for conical shooting. This is my Super 91 in .504.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.