Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Any NEF Guys Out There? >

Any NEF Guys Out There?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Any NEF Guys Out There?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Any NEF Guys Out There?

I ran across this ad a little while ago. Not my cup of tea, but the Huntsman has a good reputation and you sure can't beat the price.

Old 12-07-2009, 01:36 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

i would buy that in a heartbeat,they are a great carrying and shooting frontstuffer.add a metrics breech plug and it's a carrier free blackhorn shootin machine!the ramrods are not the best but they work..............karl
Old 12-07-2009, 01:48 AM
Spike

Default NEF Huntsman

I own a SS Huntsman and it IS awesome! I replaced the breachplug with the Metrics Unlimited plug and ditched the factory ramrod for one made by Hubbard. I can shoot a group just a little larger than a dime at about 60 yards with BH 209 powder and a red dot sight. Now....if we had any deer left in Wisconsin this year I would have tried it out on one of those!
Old 12-07-2009, 02:05 AM
Fork Horn

Semi: If you don't buy that you are NOT EVEN Semisane

I have a sidekick, same as the huntsman but strictly muzzleloader, (can't interchange barrels.) It gives my Encore a run for the money in the likeability department.

BUY IT, BUY IT, BUY IT

Last edited by dphobby; 12-07-2009 at 03:29 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I had an Encore and it was a piece of ****. I have a Sidekick that was bought for only $159. on sale at Bass Pro Shop. It was meant to be a backup to the Encore.

Well to make a long story short the Encore went up onto the auction block and I kept the Sidekick. That Sidekick has been around for about seven years and It has taken at least one deer each year and as much as three last year. She has earned her keep. My only complaint is with the breech plug. I don't like it, too user unfriendly. But here she is:

She has paid for herself many times over. I shoot a Hornaday saboted 300 gr. XTP over 85 grs of loose BP or Pyrodex RS.

Last edited by rafsob; 01-10-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:31 AM
Spike

That is what I paid for a used one about five years ago without all of those accessories. It shoots really well and the Metrics Unlimited breech plug is a great upgrade to the gun, very user friendly. I also use the Hubbard's ram rod. I don't get to use it much because my son has claimed it.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Semisane... you need another rifle.
Old 12-07-2009, 07:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semisane... you need another rifle.
I know that Cayugad. But not that one. I've got a line on what a guy claims is an "unfired" TC .50 Hawken flintlock that he's asking $250 for. I'm having a hard time trying to find the cash for it, but who could pass up a deal like that? I'm meeting him tomorrow night to check it out.
Old 12-08-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Originally Posted by Reese260
the Metrics Unlimited breech plug is a great upgrade to the gun, very user friendly. I also use the Hubbard's ram rod.

Not familiar with either of these. Where can I get more info on them?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:15 AM
Spike

Default Metrics plug/Hubbard ram rod

Here's some info on the Metrics plug.......

To get you started.....

First determine whether your gun has the 5/8" O.D. plug or the 7/8" O.D. plug. Huntsmans built from 2001 up to and including 2004 used the 7/8" plugs. Huntsmans and Sidekicks manufactured in 2005 and up until the time they discontinued used the 5/8" plug. You should also receive some "o" rings. These are to placed in the primer pocket of the new plug immediately under the primer to seal it, avoiding most if not all blow back. You will no longer need the red primer carriers with the new stainless steel model.

Then call: 1-800-638-7986

Email: [email protected]

Mail: Metrics Unlimited
6709 Chicago Road
Warren, MI 40892

Attn: Nick

They are a great bunch of people at this place. Nick and Busta worked collaboratively and were instrumental in the creation of these plugs. Last I knew the plugs were priced under $29.00 (when I purchased mine) and that included the shipping.

Have fun!

Here's some additional contacts for Hubbard's:

1-800-236-7486 or 1-205-665-0444

Email: [email protected]

Doug B.

Last edited by DougB.; 12-08-2009 at 06:18 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.