Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Powerbelt 245 gr. Question >

Powerbelt 245 gr. Question

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Powerbelt 245 gr. Question

Old 12-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Pglasgow
I think that would surprise alot of people here. Were there fragments?
Fragments yes. Then there were sharp edges of bone around the entry hole. I actually scraped my hand up pretty bad on them trying to feel around for the esophegus on the chards that were there. I will try to get some pics in there to show......

Why would this be of surprise though??
Old 12-07-2009, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I mean if the bullet didn't go to pieces on that bone some would be surprised. Did I read you correctly? I thought you mentioned that you observed evidence the bullet made the far side where it was stopped by the rib cage. In any event, I'm looking forward seeing the pics.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Pglasgow
I mean if the bullet didn't go to pieces on that bone some would be surprised. Did I read you correctly? I thought you mentioned that you observed evidence the bullet made the far side where it was stopped by the rib cage. In any event, I'm looking forward seeing the pics.
I didnt observe, really by feel.

I am skinning and processing the deer tomorrow night, it will most likely be a better time to snap some pics. Here is the one before I roped her up my wife took.
Attached Thumbnails Powerbelt 245 gr. Question-deer2009.jpg  
Old 12-09-2009, 04:31 AM
Spike

Same as above 70-80 grains for the powerbelts. You know some people get caught up in the speed thing just like the archery people do. Unless you are out west and take 200 yrd shots 80 grains is more than enough for an ethical under 100 yd shot from a primitive gun. 100 grains will shoot a better shot even with a sabot. If you want to shoot 150 grains then it better be a long shot or just go somewhere they have a modern rifle season. Part of the hunt is getting close. Some will take issue with this but most of them are newbies. Match your bullets and charges to the conditions you will shoot. More is not always better. just my 2 cents
Old 12-10-2009, 05:44 PM
Spike

Default Pictures as promised....

Here are some pictures that were asked for, the entry and damage that this bullet did. I was certainly surprised! Maybe my concern goes away. I also snapped a picture of the bullet, which I did find!! It was lodged in the side of the deer. But look at the damage on entry side. The muscle that is attached from the neck to the shoulder was flapped over, it did go through the very thin part of the shoulder blade, organs, and then you can see the opposite side where the bullet stopped.

The 245 gr bullet mushroomed perfectly. After last years bullet shattering, I am pretty impressed. I may try the 80 gr powder for next year though. Thanks for all the comments, and suggestions. Going back out this weekend, hopefully bag another!
Attached Thumbnails Powerbelt 245 gr. Question-deer-014.jpg   Powerbelt 245 gr. Question-deer-016.jpg   Powerbelt 245 gr. Question-deer-015.jpg   Powerbelt 245 gr. Question-deer-017.jpg