Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Attack of the Killer Omega >

Attack of the Killer Omega

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Attack of the Killer Omega

Old 12-05-2009, 07:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default Attack of the Killer Omega

Shot a button buck tonight at 20 yards from the ground with my Omega using 90 grians RS, 300 grains Barnes Expander MZs and Kleanbore primers. Shot was slightly quartering away and went in behind the right shoulder and out the left shoulder. The blood trail was great but not needed. He did a fifty yard death loop and dropped next to a small scrub bush. The bush by where he died was just coated in blood.

The bullet passed completely through just as expected. This was my first experience with this bullet. I have used 300 grain Shockwaves in the past and love them. I just figured I would try a different bullet, based on how accurate this load was at the range in Sept. After all, experimenting with different bullets is half the fun of muzzleloading as we all know!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Spike

Congrats on the button,Iam hopeing to put one on the ground this morning,last chance today,last day of the muzzy season for us.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

congrats on the button buck
another good report on Barnes bullet
Old 12-06-2009, 02:26 AM
Typical Buck

Just curious, why would you purposely shoot a button buck?

Last edited by Roger46982; 12-06-2009 at 02:40 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:21 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by Roger46982
Just curious, why would you purposely shoot a button buck?

Maybe to eat it!! Maybe because he had a tag and could. I would rather see someone shoot a button buck to eat than shoot a trophy buck and waste it so they can show the antlers off. I have found 3 headless deer this season so far. Besides a button buck would taste better than a big old rutting buck. If a person has a tag they can fill it with whatever legal deer they want.

Old 12-06-2009, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chetmarks
I have found 3 headless deer this season so far.
This may surprise you but your state's DOW probably has the ability to match the mounted trophies to the carcasses using DNA technology. It would be a great service to the sport of hunting if you can identify the perpetrator of this crime. More than likely it is the same person. Acts that despicable are the exception and not the norm. A little thought and some effort and I bet you catch this criminal.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink

Maybe to eat it!! Maybe because he had a tag and could. I would rather see someone shoot a button buck to eat than shoot a trophy buck and waste it so they can show the antlers off. I have found 3 headless deer this season so far. Besides a button buck would taste better than a big old rutting buck. If a person has a tag they can fill it with whatever legal deer they want.
Well said!!! They do taste great. My last kill was a button buck and it is in the freezer now. Hopefully I can get my last two tags filled with these tasty critters.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cherokee,

Congratulations on your harvest. Well done! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it .
Old 12-06-2009, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Some fine eating.
Roger, I own my own hunting ground and manage it for the best results, since to many deer can be a problem as to few can and my food plots will only support so many I thin my herd by leaving the two and 3 year bucks. I also take a doe or two every year. My dominate buck is a 12 point and don't have much competition any more as I took the big 7 point and poachers shot and left lay the other two big bucks in the herd. The biggest problem to managing a herd is the poachers.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:50 AM
Typical Buck

Chill out there chetmarks!!!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.