Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Attack of the Killer Omega >

Attack of the Killer Omega

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Attack of the Killer Omega

Old 12-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Pglasgow
There isn't and I for one assumed you were filling an anterless tag. That was obvious to me. I wouldn't sweat it. I'd sure like to have an antleress buck like it in the freezer right now. Well done.
You are correct. I thought it was a doe. I suppose I should have clarified that. It happened so fast and even using my scope or binoculars I don't think I would have been able to tell the difference unless it stood on its hind legs or was wearing a jock strap. I did find this article.

http://www.whitetailinstitute.com/in...s/nov05/5.html
Old 12-06-2009, 07:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Don't be led into the trap of thinking you have to defend your harvest Cherokee. Horns are fun and get me excited, but I'm basically a meat hunter. After all, isn't the true purpose of hunting to put meat on the table? Antler stew is terrible!
Old 12-07-2009, 01:37 AM
Typical Buck

Sorry guys, didn't mean to **** any of you off, but in my neck of the woods shooting a BB is a no-no. No doubt the are good eatin.
Old 12-07-2009, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Congrats on the deer.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Ain't nobody ****ed Roger.

The button buck rule is pretty common. We try to avoid shooting them on our lease, but there's no penalty for doing so (except a little razzing from the other guys). We can afford to be selective because we have a good population and every member is pretty much assured of getting his two does each year. Back when I hunted public land a lot a button buck was meat on the table, and be thankful for it.

I guess it all depends on what you're trying to achieve. Shoot a button and you take out a future rack - shoot a doe instead and you take out the babies she would have produced for as long as she survived. Private land hunters and hunting clubs usually want to protect the future rack and I know of clubs that have heavy fines for shooting a button. There's nothing "wrong" about either approach.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just think its odd how caught up some people get with antlers. That said, I passed a couple of forkies this season. One typically has to pass something up to take a trophy. And while I understand why one would like to take a trophy, and why I wanted to take one this season, in the end, I wish I had take one of the forkies and had the meat in freezer.

When I lived in Oklahoma I took a few buttons. I didn't like taking a nursing doe and would prefer to take a fawn or a large solo doe. But back then we were trying to increase the deer where we hunted. Anyway, I certainly don't feel ashamed about it. I don't know of any possible way to identify a first year buck at 200 yards. And if its a button at 1 1/2 it needs culled anyway. A no-no? Whatever LOL.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:35 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Pglasgow
A no-no? Whatever LOL.
Different strokes for different folks.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:47 AM
kb1
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Semisane
Don't be led into the trap of thinking you have to defend your harvest Cherokee. Horns are fun and get me excited, but I'm basically a meat hunter. After all, isn't the true purpose of hunting to put meat on the table? Antler stew is terrible!
.............for me semi put it in a nutshell,i've been hunting hard for 3 weeks and have only seen 4 deer,a momma with 2 little ones and a single of decent size.i was able to put a bullet in him and found out it was button buck that weighed about 90-100 lbs dressed.i'll honor him at every meal!! karl
Old 12-08-2009, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kb1
... i'll honor him at every meal!! karl
kb1, I can't think of any greater honor one can give harvested game than to be sustained by it.

Roger, I guess there are primarily two practices which turn my stomach. The first is wanton waste. The taking of a head or antlers whilst the meat is wasted. I am happy to say that hunter's whose focus is to harvest game for meat NEVER do that. In fact, in the case of taking a 4 point elk in the wilderness, just the opposite may take place, packing out the meat in more than one trip whilst leaving the antlers for rodents. Only people fixated on antlers leave meat to waste, though most don't. I am thankful for that.

The second practice that I despise is the hunting of pen raised animals. Again people with a focus on harvesting meat never do this. They buy beef with the money they saved.

Lots of meat hunters take trophies. I have taken some good animals. There is nothing wrong with trophy hunting, personally I don't have a problem with it provided the antler worshipper doesn't waste the meat or hunt pen raised animals. The unfortunate consequence of antler worship is that it has promoted these unethical practices. Antler hunting is not a superior practice than hunting for meat. In my way of thinking, hunting traditionally for putting meat on the table will always be superior. But then who doesn't like to take a trophy? I know I sure do, but it certainly is the least important aspect of hunting to me.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:46 AM
Spike

First deer that went in the freezer this year was a button,next day took a 6pt.Not ashamed to admit it,Iam a deer hunter and hunt deer not horns.Again congrats on the button and GOOD EATS!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.