Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Will Pyrodex pellets last until next year? >

Will Pyrodex pellets last until next year?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Will Pyrodex pellets last until next year?

Old 12-05-2009, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Will Pyrodex pellets last until next year?

I bought 2 boxes of the 100 packs of the Pyordex pellets this year. I still have one box I haven't opened and one that has a few pellets left but not all that many. I just have them sitting in the house in a bedroom right now. Will these be fine to hunt with next year too or will they go bad before then? What should I do to pro long the life of them?
Old 12-05-2009, 07:34 PM
Fork Horn

I received an open, almost full, box of Pyrodex pellets from my brother three years ago and used them last year and the year before with no problems. I have no idea how old they were when I got them. I know I have read where people say they degrade somehow which is probably true. But if you shoot your gun enough times throughout the year, chances are you are going to re-zero your rifle for the difference, if any, anyway. That is my humble opinion.
Old 12-06-2009, 12:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do something different than most...when I buy a box of Pellets, or jar of Powder I use only that specific one for the ML it's used to sight in on. I know there should'nt be a difference but it's something I have always done, a piece of mind, who knows.
Anyway sometimes that specific box or jar for that ML does'nt get used up for 2-3 years when the ML is'nt shot that much and I have never had a problem. I have always stored my powder in My Cedar Chest and it's worked for me doing it that way, and yes up North here in the Summer we get Humidity that's sometines 100%, still no problems.
(BP)
Old 12-06-2009, 03:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Properly stored, Pyrodex pellets will last a long time. In 2003 or 2004 i bought several boxes of Pyrodex pellets that were on sale at China Outlets. They are kept in a .50 caliber ammo can with a couple of dessicant packs. Gave an open box of those pellets to a friend for this years M/L season. The man sighted in his gun and killed three deer using those pellets.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

They won't last. Send them to me. I'll dispose of them in an approved manner.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

The boxes are not sealed like the cans are. I would run a piece of tape around the lid and seal it up for the winter.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Spike

They last fine. I put my box of pellets in a zip lock bag and keep the jars of powder also in a sealed ammo box. I do sometimes buy a new box for deer season. Had some black powder in tins in an ammo box for many years in the garage and worked fine. Just seal them good in a bag or ammo box.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 AM
Typical Buck

I got a box that is 5 years old I forgot about and went shooting and fired right as rain and grouped the same 2" at 100 yards. They will be fine as long as they are stored where there is no moisture.
Old 12-09-2009, 10:29 AM
Dominant Buck

I never had Pyrodex pellets lasting but did with Triple Seven. I personally like Pyrodex pellets.
Old 12-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Spike

Default pyordex and triple 7????????????

I shot150gr pyorde but the gun shop onley had triple 7. If i go with the triple 7 150gr will my accuracy be the same? I do have sum pyordex but it's one or two years old.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.