HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   Inlines (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/311269-inlines.html)

Sharp Shooter 12-01-2009 11:58 AM

Inlines

I always hunt with my traditional muzzleloader during rifle season and use my 300wsm as back up if I cant get close to anything with my muzzy. I was thinking about getting an inline to use as backup for long range shots instead of using my 300wsm. I would still use my traditionals for the main part but figured an inline would be a good replacement for my high power. I would want to scope it so I could reach out to 200-250yds or so? what is the range of an inline scoped?

My question to you guys is what are my options? Whats good? Cabelas has several different inlines, many available with scopes. How is CVA? I was looking at the Wolf, Kodiak, and Buckhorn? How are these?

Another option is a bottom end Omega, those are not too bad as far as price goes if I get a cheaper one.

Also, how about traditions? Persuit or Buckstalker?

I would like to stay around $300 or preferably under. I do not need nothing fancy since my main hunting rifles are my traditionals.

Thanks

Kirk

Nimrodder 12-01-2009 12:08 PM

If I wanted to buy a new inline for under $300 this is the one I'd get. Its ugly IMO but they are great shooters. CVA quality has come along way.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/54073

Nimrodder 12-01-2009 12:11 PM

Under specs it says "electronic arc". That is wrong the Accura has 209 ignition.

MountainDevil54 12-01-2009 12:24 PM

Accura is an awesome shooting rifle. Cabelas has them on sale and www.rrarms.com has them at great prices too. I ordered mine from R&R

Sharp Shooter 12-01-2009 12:43 PM

Also, does Remington still make their inlines? How are they?

MountainDevil54 12-01-2009 12:48 PM

over look remington. They were basically a test set up like the winchester brand muzzleloader. Just add a few new things such as a SS barrel, solid stock, new sights and test the market and if it sells decent, put it on the basic brand. Thats what cva did with the winchester.

spaniel 12-01-2009 01:09 PM

Typically cheap and longer range shooting do not go together. However an Apex or lower end Omega will get the job end. I have a higher end Omega I use for long range shooting (several deer over 300 yds) and even that I've done extensive work on to take equipment limitations out of the equation.

For the gun, I would get an Omega or Apex. Hope you get a good one because if it's not accurate with powerful charges it's not a 250 yd elk gun.

For scope, remember you're going to be talking around 24-26 inches of drop at 250 yds even for the flattest loads. I'm a fan of tactical scopes because you can dial in exact drops, but a good one will not fit your price range if you're looking at lower end Omegas (they start at around $400-$600). I would recommend either a BDC-reticle scope and accept that the marks will be off and you'll have to shoot to figure out where it REALLY shoots at 200-250yds, or get a Mil-Dot reticle and do the same thing.

For bullets, I recommend the .458" 325gr FTX. A big strong bullet that is also built to shoot flat. I drive it at 1950 fps with 135gr Triple Seven FFg. I get 26" of drop at 250 yds. There are other good elk bullets out there but most are not designed for as good of energy retention to 250 yds (ie high BC) and with elk that is very important.

goatbrother 12-02-2009 12:06 AM

If you can find a used White in good condition you will have yourself a great shooter.

Roger46982 12-02-2009 01:52 AM

Just my opinion but 250 or so yds with a muzzleloader is a hell of a long shot no matter which rifle you decide on.

Breechplug 12-02-2009 01:53 AM

As MountainDevil54 mentioned Cabela's has the ACCURA SS/Bk now on sale for less than $300, it's a good shooter out to 200+ yds. With My ACCURA I can get 2"+- groups at 200yds on a good day.
But a shot at anything over 150-175yds is a darn good poke, a-lot can go wrong at them distances. Why cant you close the distance between you and the Deer to around 100yds or less?
Also get a good scope, preferably with a BDC or SABR Reticle so you know exactly, or pretty darn close where your shots will be at longer ranges, The Nikon Omega or Leupold Ultimate Slam ML Scopes are good options. I have the Leupold USML Scope on My ACCURA and it's a darn good one for long range shots.
Success to you, and Practice Hard if your gonna take shots at anything over 175yds.
(BP)