Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
what do you do  in between hunts >

what do you do in between hunts

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

what do you do in between hunts

Old 12-01-2009, 09:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

I mostly EAT. Sometimes I do a little work. And order rifles I don't need.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Dominant Buck

This year hunting got interrupted with knee surgery and all. But most of my days are spent doing exactly what ever I feel like. If I want to shoot, I shoot. If hungry I eat. Naps are an important part of the day. Surf the Internet is a good past time, and shopping on line for stuff I don't need. Did I mention naps? Then make a nice dinner, TV, coffee, and then repeat it all the next day.
Old 12-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Fork Horn

Work to pay for hunting, study maps of hunting area, wash hunting clothes, do maintenance on hunting truck, sharpen hunting knives, talk to my hunting friends, go online to see what hunting gear I still need...answer not much, go online to forums like this to give answers on things I do know and get answers for things I don't know.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Chetmarks; are you hunting in Va. those are my dates too as bowhunting is open again till the 12th,then muzzleloading for bucks only. i love the last week of the season as it is both bow and muzzleloading for either sex plus turkeys
Old 12-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

load patched round balls over 40 grains pyrodex and go squirrel hunting.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:06 AM
mountaineer magic

Originally Posted by deer655
Chetmarks; are you hunting in Va. those are my dates too as bowhunting is open again till the 12th,then muzzleloading for bucks only. i love the last week of the season as it is both bow and muzzleloading for either sex plus turkeys
I'm in South Dakota . I grew up in Va though. Back in the 60's and 70's. Til 74.I don't get east much anymore. Pretty much stay here in wide open Plains. Va is a beautiful state though. I still have lots of relatives back there and in WVA ( where I was born)

Old 12-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Work, shooting, woodworking, and school.
Old 12-03-2009, 11:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

January, shoot as many guns as I want and reload the amo for all the centerfires I shot. Chase youtes and shoot as many as I can where ever I can. Look at bee supply catalogs and make out a list of stuff I really need for spring. Melt wax and poiur into molds for selling.
Take pictures of deer.

Febuary, Chase youtes and shot as many as I can reload more shells for the center fires and clean all the guns I've shot in the last couple of days. take a couple rides on the snowmobile with friends.
Take pictures of deer.

March, Bees are becoming active. Mix syrup to feed them also make pollen patties and place in hives. Assemble frames install foundation. Cut out hive bodies and assemble them, cut out and assemble screen bottom boards sO I'll be ready when the swarm calls start coming in.
Take pictures of deer.

April, keep watch of the bee hives and make sure they have enough syrup till fruit trees start blooming. Get the Nucs ready to go.
Take pictures of deer.

May, make up nucs and clean any dead out equipment up. Place honey supers on to ready then for honey storage when dandlions bloom. Gather swarms people call me about. Look for new out yards to place the swarms in. Shoot skunks
Take pictures of deer.

June, Take swarm calls, look for more out yards. Add more honey supers. Bottle more honey for the resturant. Start the queen rearing since the drones are back.
Shoot possums.
Take pictures of deer.

July, A bity of breathing room now. Clean guns and get ready for our big shooting weekend. last year we shot 900 golf balls, 3 cases of clay birds, a bunch of balloons, some paper plates and targets.
Shoot coons, shoot coons and more skunks.
Take pictures of deer.

August, Make sure the new queens are doing well and check on the older queens to make shure they are doing what they are supposed to be doing. Crush a drone layer and add a new caged one for release. Take extra honey from last years crop to the wholesaler.
Shoot possums and coons.
Take pictures of deer.

September, Pull the honey supers, extract the honey let it settle in the tanks then strain it place in holding tank for blending and latter bottleing. Fill buckets that people have ordered. Take empty supers out so the bees can dry them. Stack dry supers and place moth chrystals on paper plates then wrap with shrink wrap.
Shoot possums and coons
Take pictures of deer.

October, Apply mite treatment, go thru the hives to take stock of winter stores. combine weak hives.
Cut down firewood for next year, haul it, buzz it, split it and stack it. Must have 16 face cords. Mostly Ash since th eemerald ash bore has did a number in our woods. Take a week to chase grouse in the UPPER
Take pictures of deer.

November, Finish cutting, hauling, splitting and stacking wood. Clean guns shot guns and reload for the shotguns and centerfires.
Hunt some birds with friends.
Start shooting rifles I plan to deer hunt with. this year I used the 54cal Remington 700 all season.
Pack for the trip to deer camp in the UPPER.

December, Come home from deer camp. Bottle honey for yard rent and Christmas presents, Deliver yard rent and if warm enough look in on the girls.
Christmas shop.
Muzzle loader season opens so do nothing for two weeks or more if the chores are timed right.

Whew I'm tired so I'm going to take a NAP NOW.

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 12-03-2009 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

Shoot, fish, hunt small game, coyotes and hogs-lots of hogs.

To paraphrase Chief Joseph: I will work no more again forever.
Old 12-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Typical Buck

Hope I am healthy enough to hunt the next season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.