Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura

Old 12-05-2009, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IndyBassin
CVA Accura - $240 from Cabela's .... and yes, that's a Bergara Barrel
Nikon ProStaff 3x9-40 - $127 using wife's discount at Dick's Sporting Goods
Durasight rings: $25 from Gander Mountain

Sub $400 muzzy

Indy nice combo! How do you like them Durasight Z2 Alloy Scope Mounts and Rings??? I had purchased them for My ACCURA (the see thru's) only to find out that they were a bit too high, I had to raise My head up to look through them, it just was'nt a good fit for the ACCURA, so I had to send them back, and Im 6'6" tall.
The Durasights are nice other than that.
(BP)
Old 12-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Spike

Been wanting to buy an Accura but when i read the reviews on Cabela's they either have some problems or someone there is purposely giving bad reviews. All of you here which i trust more seem to think it is a good rifle. Have a MK 85 Knight that i hunted with for years but is so hard to get the 209 primer in the conversion. Bought a wolf on sale and is ok. Bought a new knight rolling block that i wished i handn't right before i found out they were going out of business. Fifth shot and the hammer wouldn't stay ****ed so had to send it in for fix or replacement. Did shoot a doe with it after that. Still want the accura and so far all of you seem to like it. Trying to buy a long range hunter green mountain barrel for my T/C Hawken but they are all out of stock right now. I like the break open design of the wolf but think the accura might be a better gun. Anything i should know negative about them? Thought about the kodiac but like the break open for cleaning. thanks guys, i am new to this forum
Old 12-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

The only "negative" I can think of, aside from the goofy looking buttstock, is the alloy receiver. One has to be very careful when reinstalling the barrel or you will deform the thin edge located at the front of receiver. They should have made that piece a bit thicker/stronger. The damage, should you suffer any, is cosmetic at worse and even then it gets hidden by the forearm. I've had three of them here, shot two of them and the third went to a friend. He REALLY likes the Accura and so do I. I would still have two except for selling one to help fund an Apex purchase.

I've had exactly zero problems with them (discounting the one thing pointed out above). Even that goofy looking buttstock becomes a lot less so when you shoulder the rifle - fits well and sucks up recoil nicely.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1 is identical to the one still in my gun case. I wouldn't call 4.9 out of 5.0 a bad showing on the reviews.

Last edited by Underclocked; 12-05-2009 at 01:57 PM.
Old 12-05-2009, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by his guzzi
Been wanting to buy an Accura but when i read the reviews on Cabela's they either have some problems or someone there is purposely giving bad reviews. All of you here which i trust more seem to think it is a good rifle. Have a MK 85 Knight that i hunted with for years but is so hard to get the 209 primer in the conversion. Bought a wolf on sale and is ok. Bought a new knight rolling block that i wished i handn't right before i found out they were going out of business. Fifth shot and the hammer wouldn't stay ****ed so had to send it in for fix or replacement. Did shoot a doe with it after that. Still want the accura and so far all of you seem to like it. Trying to buy a long range hunter green mountain barrel for my T/C Hawken but they are all out of stock right now. I like the break open design of the wolf but think the accura might be a better gun. Anything i should know negative about them? Thought about the kodiac but like the break open for cleaning. thanks guys, i am new to this forum
I have 3 ACCURA's, 2 for me and one for My Wife. When it comes to picky, Im picky, nothing bad to say about the ACCURA, it's a sweet shooter and smooth trigger pull. No need for the Green Mountain Barrel, the Bergara Barrel it comes with is in my opinion long range enough, I get about 3"+- groups at 200yds, plenty good for long range shooting. I have a Kodiak Pro, Im not really impressed with the action as you (cant) remove it for cleaning, but it does shoot well. Cabelas now has the ACCURA ON SALE, SS/Camo for $349 and SS/Thumbhole for $319.
(BP)
Old 12-05-2009, 03:38 PM
Spike

Default new accura for me

Thanks guys for all the input on the accura rifle. Seeing most of you likeing the gun i just ordered a new stainless/black stock from Cabela's tonight. With it on sale for $289 and promotion 20 off i couldn't pass that up. I have the wolf and like the break open action. Bought a knight rolling block earlier this year right before i found out they were going out of business. 5 shots later the hammer would not stay back ****ed so had to send the trigger mechanism in for repair or replace. Lucky i got that done i guess. Left a bad taste for me a i have a stainless MK 85 that has served me flawless for many years. Just too hard with the conversion kit to get the 209 primers in easy. Also have a T/C Hawken that i put together many years ago and am trying to get a long range hunter barrel for it. Green mountain is behind in production. Always shoot my deer here in Iowa with a muzzle loader and bow. Your input put me over the edge to buy this accura plus the sale. New to this site so hope to enjoy and will help if i can with all my years of shooting. Thanks, Dean
Old 12-05-2009, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54

...... get yourself a regular scope and screw that BDC stuff.
Honestly, the ONLY reason I love the Nikon Omega scope with BDC is because of it's incredible 5" of eye relief.... no scope cut for me or my kids that shoot 'em as well.... EVER!
Old 12-06-2009, 09:40 AM
ogg
Fork Horn

I think the nikon omega scope comes in regular nikoplex reticle so maby ill just go with that...and have the added bonus of extra eye relief.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:52 AM
tjj
Fork Horn

Natchez had the omegas with the nikoplex, 3-9x40 for around 140$ Good glass for the money.
Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't need a new muzzleloader

Less than $300 @ Cabelas?

Old 12-07-2009, 07:50 AM
ogg
Fork Horn

and the thumbhole version is only $319 at cabelas now to...plus free shipping...hmmmmmm