Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

CVA Accura

Old 12-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Spike

This thread has been a great read, go my Accura (black/blue) in from Cabelas today and will be shopping for a scope tomorrow.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

The blued/black is only $240 at cabelas right now. Hard to pass up if you want a ML!
Old 12-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by IndyBassin
This thread has been a great read, go my Accura (black/blue) in from Cabelas today and will be shopping for a scope tomorrow.
Hope you'll be as Pleased as I am with your new ACCURA. Does the Bk/BL come with a Bergara Barrel?
(BP)
Old 12-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

If it is an Accura - doesn't have to come with the Bergara?
Old 12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
ogg
Fork Horn

two more questions for you accura owners....First,I know a little about muzzleloaders but not much and ive been reading where people use a drill bit or something to clean their breech.(something like that but im not sure)Whats the deal with that?
Also what grouping can I expect to get at 150 yards?Im torn between getting a savage 220 slug gun or a Accura for my main firearm season weapon.Shotgun positives are less matenience and from what ive been reading a 150 yard shot is very easily doable with this slug gun.So is there really any advandtage in accuracy a muzzleloader has over the savage?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ogg,
Many methods are out there for cleaning the flash hole of all the fouling. Toothpicks, welding picks (er whatever they're called), etc. I don't worry about it myself, never have any problems.

150yd grouping. Time will tell, the gun chooses the load. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard to grab a 3" group if you have a scope. Tighter isn't out of the question. You might be able to get 20ga velocities accurately with your gun, not sure about it though. All else being equal, I'd guess a ML will be more fun for ya!
Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Spike

CVA Accura - $240 from Cabela's .... and yes, that's a Bergara Barrel
Nikon ProStaff 3x9-40 - $127 using wife's discount at Dick's Sporting Goods
Durasight rings: $25 from Gander Mountain

Sub $400 muzzy

Old 12-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Spike

Our muzzy opener in Indiana is Saturday. I'll be hitting the range to sight her in and then the woods for an evening hunt since my son has a b-ball game that morning.

I'll get some better pics and maybe some video to do a proper review of my budget set up.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The drill bit thing is primarily relevant to cleaning the flame channel beneath the primer cup of the breech plug. And that is only when using Blackhorn 209 powder which leaves a hard carbon buildup in that flame channel. For an Accura, a 1/8" bit is a little too big - a 3/32" will work fine though. Occasionally there might be need for such a cleaning with some other powder type, but the BH209 makes it mandatory.

As to your decision, it's yours to make. I don't own a shotgun of any sort and haven't for years. Quail were nearly destroyed in this area (just now starting to see a bit of a comeback), I got tired of wasting ammo shooting at doves, and you have to be just plain crazy to hunt ducks and geese.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:52 AM
Banned

thats a sweet lookin set up you got there Indy! I really like those rings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.