Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
At the farm with a new Remington Bolt Conversion >

At the farm with a new Remington Bolt Conversion

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

At the farm with a new Remington Bolt Conversion

Old 11-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default At the farm with a new Remington Bolt Conversion

Went to the farm today… I had a couple of goals in mind. Our ML elk season starts here December 2, so I needed to take the Renegade /Gm-LRH barrel out and check POI. And I am really glad I did – it had not been shot since last May and I figured it would be ready to go. Left/right I was right on… but @ 75 yards I was down a couple of inches… Got it taken care of and I am now ready…

Now, the second reason that I went – I needed to do some testing with the new bolt conversion I/we made for the Remington 700ml. What I was trying to do was to change the characteristic of the Remington from a ‘Plunger’ style ML to a bolt with a firing pin.

With that in mind, I would serve to make the rifle:
1. BH compatible
2. Stop the primer from backing out of the nipple
3. Stop a majority of the blow back coming back into the receiver.
4. Keep the bolt cleaner internally and externally.

This conversion was made to be compatible with the Cabelas/Canadian 209 conversion available on line.

My bolt conversion does require machining. A piece of 4140 ordinance steel was machined on the lathe to press fit inside the nose of the existing Remington bolt. This part gives the bolt a face so that the primer can not come out of the nipple. Next the hammer needed to be machined down to produce a firing pin. I copied the diameter of the Knight DISC so the pin turns out to be about 3/32’s and provide a very strong pin. After the insert was installed and the hammer reinstalled in the bolt out next operation was to reduce the length of the bolt nose so that the bolt could be closed on a bare nipple. Next we inserted the longest primer I had. That primer was a Winchester T7 and measures .3015, the Federal 209A measures .2965 and the Remington 209-4 that I normally use measures .285. The decision was made that we need to make the conversion fit the longest primer available + we had to allow for the minor difference in how people install their breevch plug and nipple. With all of that said there is a few thousands of space left between the longest primer and the bolt face so the bolt closes very easily on each primer.

Here are some pictures of the conversion. Keep in mind this is a 209 conversion. The primer is still installed easily in the nipple with a capper. The operation of the bolt does not extract the spent primer but I was able to pop them out with a finger nail or even more easily with the capper.

I did shoot BH graduating from 90 grains to 120 grains pushing a .40/200 grain XTP. The conversion was installed in Grouse’s 45 Remington. It turned out to be amazingly accurate with 110 grains of BH.

My impressions – success! The receiver seems to be cleaner. The gun shot BH very well so I know it will shoot T7 equally well. I just now removed the bolt and disassembled the bolt – no blow back in the bolt at all. The internal were sealed from blow back.

Last edited by sabotloader; 11-28-2009 at 05:07 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:22 PM
Fork Horn

Very nice, I assume you plan on marketing this idea. If so I wish you luck on what looks like a well thought out improvement.
Old 11-28-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very Nice Conversion and well thought out Mike, it looks like it's gonna be one heck of a shooter! Now I want you to take a Nice Bull with it, Success to you On Dec 2nd I'll be rooting for ya.
Best of Luck
(BP)
Old 11-28-2009, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Thats pretty cool. Would be quite nice to have.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Looks great! I'm assuming you are going to be making these available for purchase. When do you think that will happen?
Old 11-28-2009, 08:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

TNHagies

I guess I was not thinking that there would be a large demand for this modification... it was just something I wanted to do to see if my thinking might be right... I was really happy when I got the results I did... I asked Dave about his slow time at the machine shop and if I needed 5/6 more of these modifications - he indicated Dec/Jan were his slow months and he would be willing to make a few - I am not thinking he would be interested in making 100's as he does not have a CNC lathe.

I actually have to make a few minor changes in this first attempt. I am going to tighten up the head space just a bit on the T7 primers since they are the longest primer I have found - maybe another .035.

The only problem is some people do not put their breech plugs in the same way I do, I snug them up so I would need to allow allow a few thousands for those that do the finger tight thing or even the ones that back off just a tad...

The real problem being that in the wonderful world of ML's I guess nothing has to be built to an exact spec...
Old 12-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Spike

This is an awesome bit of work where do I sign up to have mine done? I just got my 209 conversion kit the other day .
Old 12-11-2009, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mike did you you put the hammer down on a Big Bull yet, anything? How long does your Elk Season last?
(BP)
Old 12-11-2009, 05:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

The season ended 12/9 and i did not get a second opportunity, probably should have taken the first opportunity. I just could not get a shot that i wanted throught the brush and tree limbs.

I guess i left them for seed for next year....

We bumped them twice once on opening day, both Larry and i saw elk, then on Tuesday we bumped them again, never got to see this time, just heard them breaking brush and heading away from us. Guess we pushed them out of the area as we saw no fresh evidence from that time on. I was in again by myself on Monday and did find that possibly a cow and a calf had ventured back clear at the back of the unit. But since I was hunting by myself i was somewhat limited where I could go and still manage an animal if i got one down.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well done my friend
Youre a pretty fart smeller....I mean, Smart Feller.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.