Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
I missed because I must have bumped my scope, is this a myth? >

I missed because I must have bumped my scope, is this a myth?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

I missed because I must have bumped my scope, is this a myth?

Old 11-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I missed because I must have bumped my scope, is this a myth?

I have heard this story a 1,000 times ( I missed because my scope was off, I must have bumped it ) and Im sure you have also, but can you just bump your scope and cause it to really go out of sight in?
A scope is suppos-to be tough and take the punnishment of a Mag Load from any gun, would'nt this be more punnushment on the scope than just a (supposed bump)?
The reason I asked is in the past and Im sure many of you have done the same thing, say your Scoped MLer or Gun is empty and you have it leaned up against a tree and it falls to the ground, would this cause the scope to be off? I have never had a scope not hit where Im sighted in for after something like this happening and I have some (cheaper) scopes.
Well the other day while Hunting I saw the biggest (Rub) on a Hemlock Tree from a Whitetailed Deer that I have ever seen. So for comparrison I layed my MLer against the tree and took a pic of it, after the second pic My MLer fell to the ground, I was'nt too happy but being just about dark and tomorrow being Thanksgiving and going Hunting in the morning I did'nt have time to (re-check) my sight-in on the scope, and I did'nt think the fall was too bad as it hit the soft leaf covered woods ground. Well Thanksgiving morning I shot a BIG Doe, 136lbs at 50 yds and I was right on thank God, a perfect shot right where I aimed.
Was I lucky or should have my scope took the fall with no problems as I expected it would and have should have? The MLer only fell to the soft leaf covered groung of the woods, not on concrete.
So can a (bump) cause a scope to be off?
(BP) p.s. I finally broke in My New ACCURA with it's first MLer kill on the Doe!
Old 11-27-2009, 02:41 AM
Fork Horn

Probably the most abused scope I have would be my x-bow scope. It has taken a few good pops getting up an down the tree, the past 8 yrs. Never had an issue. Undoubtably, you can have problems with a sever impact.
You should be worrying if you have enough band-aids an peroxide to get that deer butchered. LOL Congrats!
Old 11-27-2009, 03:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Back in the end of sept I took all my ml's to make sure they were sighted in. My elite was shooting 2 inches high at 100 yards, which is where I like it. The middle of oct I shot at a buck 45 yards, smoke cleared and he was gone. Couldnt find a drop of blood or hair at the sight. He crossed a dry creek bed about 35 yards from where I shot him from. Thought I could find some blood there, nothing. Looked for over 2 hrs and couldnt find anything. Went back to the cabin and shot my rifle 7 inches high at 70 yards, shot again same thing. To my knowledge this gun had never been dropped, I dont know what happend. I do know this I missed the deer. I know for a fact the gun was shooting right 3 weeks early. Go figure. To the best of my memory this is the first time something like this has happened. One day my wife dropped her 06 off the 4 wheeler her scope landed on the floor board and then hit the ground. Her gun was still dead on when we shot it. Kind of a hard question to answer sometimes.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:51 AM
Fork Horn

I really think it was an issue say 25 or 30 years ago but even the cheap scopes have come a long way since then. We had a guy in camp that had his gun become 2 to 3 feet off but when it all came out one of the guys was "being funny" and had played with the adjustments while he took a nap. The guy missed a big 10 because of it, needless to say we started locking the guns after that
Old 11-27-2009, 03:54 AM
Typical Buck

biggest problem is CHEAP BASE and RINGS that let you down ..hunters buy quality rifles and scope and then use LOW QUALITY base + rings ..
Old 11-27-2009, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

OR IF YOU DO SOMETHING STUPID LIKE ME !!

I had my encore leaning on my Toyota forgot it was there, and opened the door on the other side and then i heard my gun fall . The first thing i thought of was my scope . This was the last morning of the hunt and i took a shot at a bull a hr later . i was shooting between two small trees that were about half way to the bull
that was about 60 yards away . I drill the tree on the left and missed the bull clean . I thought i had just plain blew it , until i shot my gun for the first time this last spring . i was over 8' off to the left at 3o yards . I took the scope off and remounted it and sighted it in again . I am just glad i missed the bull clean !!! My scope and rings seem to be ok !!

Last edited by UtahRob; 11-27-2009 at 04:09 AM.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rjhans53
I really think it was an issue say 25 or 30 years ago but even the cheap scopes have come a long way since then. We had a guy in camp that had his gun become 2 to 3 feet off but when it all came out one of the guys was "being funny" and had played with the adjustments while he took a nap. The guy missed a big 10 because of it, needless to say we started locking the guns after that
I would sure never hunt with that guy again !!!
Old 11-27-2009, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

I have had scope slide down the wall, off trees, and have gear thrown on them. So far I have been lucky and never had it knock the scope off.

One big thing people forget, especially with center fire rifles. I helped a kid sight in his 30-30 with a 4x on it. We used Winchester Ammo. Come hunting day he showed up with Remington Ammo. I mentioned that and he said it would not make a difference. We spent six hours tracking a deer with him that day. He was off by three inches.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've dropped a .22 and had it all beat around with a Simmons scope on it and it always seems dead on. My Burris seems good also but I haven't dropped it any. However, my Leupold I had fall over in the house and when I shot it it was several inches higher. About 5-6" high at 50 yards where as it was dead on before that. One of the reasons I just don't really like that scope.
Old 11-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the gun is dropped or banged hard enough to bend the barrel just a little it will be a long way off this also induces enough parallax to make them shoot large groups most of the time. I had several come into the shop over the years that had this problem, The easy way to identify it is by the large amount of parallax. The aluminium barrelled scopes are the ones the problem turns up om and the persons involved all admitted that the gun had been knocked over or dropped on the scope. Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.